Compression garment after explant. Can they be too tight?

I was told to wear a zip front firm support job bra after explant. Granted, It's only been 24 hours and it's now officially bugging me! It is a good fitting bra with padding, but thinking how I can wear this 24x7 fir the next weeks-months? And can this flatten me out? What is the purpose of tight compression and when is enough enough?

Compression garments can be too tight.  They should fit snugly, provide support, but should be comfortable.  The best way to judge the fit of your garment is to visit your surgeon for his/her opinion.  You certainly don't want it so tight that it restricts blood flow to the surgical site. Keep in mind that swelling changes as you heal, and that your compression garment may fit perfectly one day and be different a week later.  

Compression garment

It is possible for the compression garment to be too tight.  However without an examination I would not be able to to determine whether or not that is the case for you.  I would suggest following up with your surgeon and they will be able to assist you further on your compressoin garment and what will be best for you and your recovery moving forward. 

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after explant of implant

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

A compression garment should always be snug but comfortable.
If yours isn't fitting well or uncomfortable, please wear to your post-operative appointment and discuss what to do.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Congratulations on having undergone the breast implant removal procedure. Yes, it is possible for garments to be to too tight;  if so, they may cause significant irritation and/or pigment changes of the skin.   I utilized these types of garments to help prevent fluid accumulation where the breast implants used to be; it is a matter of finding the right balance between compression versus  potential damage to the underlying skin.  Best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with.

Bra post explantation

The goal of the bra is to decrease dead space and friction at the surgical site until your body has had a chance to heal. Compression doesn't have to be extreme, but you do want some. If you were instructed to purchase your own bra, I find that the cheaper ones are generally more comfortable because they are not as structured and geared for high impact. If your surgeon gave you a bra to use post operatively, you had better check with the office before changing this on your own.
Happy you are you again :)

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon