Will a chin implant or lower bite alignment help?

I once had a decent chin and jaw line, but after I turned 19-20 my chin started to receede, whether through the removal of baby fat, my chin not growing in accordance to my face, or bite misalignment is unknown. However it has gotten to a point where it makes my face looks very feminine and if I am not jutting out my lower jaw, it appears as if I don't have a chin. I know some weight loss will make my cheeks look gaunt and my jaw line more pronounced, but it doesn't help my weak chin.

Doctor Answers 8

Chin implantation will help appearance, not dental occlusion

Hello and thank you for the question. A visit to an orthodontist or oral surgeon should help elucidate whether corrective dental or jaw surgery will help your specific situation. If your occlusion is normal, however, an extended anatomic silicone implant will help provide definition and augmentation to the chin. This can be perfomed safely in the office simply with local anesthesia.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Dr. Jeffrey Epstein- Answer

This sounds like a possible indication for chin augmentation surgery- in where I prefer to use typically an anatomical shaped chin implant. I would consult with an oral surgeon as well to evaluate possible indication for a genioplasty as an alternative, especially if there is malocclusion of your bite.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 132 reviews

Chin implant for receding chin

Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are placed  through a sub mental approach usually under local anesthesia. The implant is placed directly over the bone for cosmetic improvement and augmentation. Placing a chin implant will have no bearing on alignment of the teeth. For alignment of the teeth, a mandibular osteotomy or  orthodontic braces are required. 

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

Chin implant

Dear Jason,
Photos would be very helpful in answering your question. You may be a candidate for a chin implant or sliding genioplasty (where the chin bone is cut, slid forward and plated in place).  Of particular importance is how your teeth line up now, which is difficult to ascertain over an online forum such as this. Obtain a consultation from a Plastic Surgeon with experience in these techniques in order to come up with the best plan based on your examination.  Best of luck. 

Luis H. Macias, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Will a chin implant or lower bite alignment help

Many times, a simple chin augmentation will help give you a more masculine, angular look.  It would be helpful to see photos of you, but with your detailed description, it sounds as though a chin implant will help.  This procedures is quick and the recovery is fast!

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Chin deficiency

If you have a malocclusion you may benefit from orthodontics and lower jaw advancement.  If your bite is good you could advance the chin (genioplasty) to improve your profile.  See a board certified surgeon for evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Chin Implant for Weak Chin

By your description, a chin implant would be beneficial. It will not change your bite relationship but will give you a longer and more masculine jaw line.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Will a chin implant or lower bite alignment help?

  The chin implant will certainly create a more prominent chin, but it will not address the bite issues.  An exam will be necessary to determine what is appropriate.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.