Chin Augmentation with Implant Vs. Filler?

If you are a good candidate for a small chin implant are you also a good candidate for chin augmentation with a filler, or are there some people who have a chin shape which is not suitable for augmentation with a filler, for example if you have a mentolabial sulcus which would look worse if a filler was used, but would not look worse if an implant was used?

Chin augmentation with implant

We do not recommend fillers for the chin. A small or medium sized silastic chin implant is placed through a submental incision and placed directly onto the chin bone, under local anesthesia and gives a permanent augmentation to the chin area.  Fillers in the chin area give to give the chin augmentation are not FDA approved and not recommended.

Chin augmentation with implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Non-Surgical Chin Augmentation may be considered, depending on your condition.

The "gold-standard" for chin augmentation remains rubberized silicone implants. They have a long track record of safety, and Chin Implant Surgery typically has downtime less than one week.

I have had the opportunity to perform non-surgical chin augmentation with Silikon-1000, over the last 3 years, with good outcomes and high patient satisfaction. An advantage of an "injectable chin implant", is that you can have volume added to select areas that may benefit, like the groove between your chin and jowl. 2-3 treatments have been necessary to obtain a desired result.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation with implant or filler?

A “temporary chin implant” with filler allows the patient to see what a chin implant might look like prior to taking the plunge for a permanent implant. Whether or not the patient is a candidate for a chin augmentation with filler depends on their individual circumstances, and during an exam your surgeon can determine what the best option is for you. In general, the best result is obtained with a surgical implant. From here, I would recommend a consult with an experienced board certified surgeon. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin augmentation with implant or fillers, what is the best option?

The chin and jaw line are important characteristics in facial harmony and if weak or recessed can result in facial imbalance. Chin augmentation can be achieved by several methods, each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

• Non-surgical augmentation of the chin with fillers (hyaluronic acid, radiesse) offer a conservative augmentation that is temporary for between 6-12months. Fillers are generally softer materials so the augmentation of the bone along the jaw line is generally limited in effectiveness. They offer the advantage of a non-surgical procedure that enable a patient to “try out an improvement” before surgery.
  • Fat transfer: can have variable results in augmenting the chin as survival of the fat in this area can be modest. Fat is a soft material so does not simulate boney weakness.
  • Chin augmentation with a chin implant requires a surgical procedure to insert the chin implant, the size of the implant can be tailored to the individual and the implants will last long-term. The implant can be tailored in shape to your individual jaw line and the tails of the implant can further strengthen the jaw line. An implant can provide a long-term treatment that will last indefinately.
  • Augmentation of the chin with jaw advancement surgery (termed sliding genioplasty) requires more invasive surgery than insertion of a chin implant. For marked recession the treatment is coupled with orthodontics requiring braces to realign bite that requires many months of treatment, there maybe numbness in the area of the jaw after treatment which can be permanent. Generally this is not required for most chin augmentation unless severe recession is present.

The most suitable treatment for you, depends on you clinical features, signs and facial characteristics. In the absence of a photograph or clinical assessment this is difficult to evaluation, seeing a surgeon who is able to offer all of the alternative options may be the best way forward to fine the most suitable option for your individual needs.

Chin Augmenation - Filler or Implant

In your particular case, a chin augmentation using an implant as the most predictable and long-lasting, permanent, results. The only reason I would recommend use of fillers would be to give you an approximate idea of what I would look like for a fuller chin in the event we were unsure they wish to proceed with the surgery. I usually perform chin augmentation in the office under local anesthesia with oral sedation although other forms of anesthesia and certainly are available.

Chin Augmenation - Filler or Implant

Both Chin Implant & Filler Good Options

Thank you for your question. Fillers are a good option for a relatively cost effective way to address a weak chin.  It is temporary, but allows for correction of issues like a deep sulcus.  Implants are a good permanent option.  There is some limitation in addressing the sulcus when using an implant.  For subtle augmenation, both options should work well.  Best wishes.

Both Chin Implant & Filler Good Options

Chin Augmentation with Fillers or Implant

I strongly suggest suggest that your treat your weak chin with a solid silicone implant that will last a lifetime. If you choose fillers I recommend that you augment with fat, not temporary fillers.

The Differing Roles of Filler and Implants for Chin Augmentation

Fillers and implants do not play the same role in chin augmentation. Fillers are used to see the potential effects of what some form of augmentation may do and are used when the patient is in doubt if they want an implant at all. An implant is used when the patient is seeking a permanent chin augmentation effect. Neither filler or an implant will positively effect a deep labiomental sulcus by chin augmentation although it can be softened by direct injection and implantation into the fold itself.

Chin filler vs implants

Filler in the chin is a good option to "test the waters" and see if chin augmentation is a good option for you, as it is non-permanent but can give you a very similar result.

Alternatively, if you wish to avoid an implant, fat injections in the chin or a chin advancement are more permanent options that avoid the use of an implant.

Hope this helps,

Chin filler vs implants

Hope this helps,

Both are good options. A chin implant is a surgical procedure but provides permanent improvement. Filler can be performed in the office but will likely only last about 12 months. I've found that Radiesse filler treatment of the chin and cheeks looks and feels very similar to a facial implant. Therefore, it is a great option for someone who doesn't want surgery or wants to try out the look before proceeding with surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber MD, FACS