Should teeth bleaching be done before or after a gum lift?

I recently completed Invisalign and would like to have both teeth bleaching and a gum lift. Which order do you suggest?

Gum Lift

Hi there and thank you for your question. It would be ideal to wait until you have your procedure and your gum tissue has completely healed so that the entire surface of the tooth can benefit from the whitening. Good luck!

Gum Lift Before Bleaching

Gum contouring, which is sometimes called a gum lift, removes excess gum tissue around the teeth. This exposes more of the teeth, making them look longer. Accordingly, I would suggest undergoing a gum lift before bleaching the teeth, so that the newly exposed portions of the teeth also benefit. At my practice, I often combine gum contouring with lip lowering surgery to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile. For the best possible results, I recommend looking for a periodontist with experience in this technique. Good luck.

Alex Farnoosh, DMD
Los Angeles Dentist

Bleaching and gum lift

Do the gum lift first and the bleaching after the gum lift has healed. This will allow the newly exposed tooth structure to be bleached also.