Let me start by saying that I have really thick hair. Well after Botox and 3 months went by I started experiencing hair loss.

The hair loss was at the top of my head and forehead. I went to an aimotologist, my gynecologist and a endocrinologist to get tests done. My blood work was perfect, my hormones were normal and all my thyroid tests were normal. That leaves me to the conclusion that it was Botox that created this side effect. I totally stopped with the Botox and after almost 1 year I can tell that hair is starting to grow back. Could this be a side effect from Botox?

Botox and Hair Loss

Botox is not known to cause hair loss.  I am not sure why it started falling out but even stress alone can cause hair loss.  I am happy for you that your hair is growing back.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox does not cause hair loss

Botox is injected 3-4 times a year in the underarms for patients with hyperhidrosis and i have never heard of a patient who complained or was happy that there was hair loss in the underarms. I have done those injections for years and have a huge hyperhidrosis practice.

I also inject 200 units of Botox in the scalp for patients with craniofacial hyperhidrosis and have never had a patient report hair loss from these repeated injections, i.e., every 3-4 months. 

I have also never had a patient report hair loss after cosmetic Botox injections.

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian

Was hair loss a side effect of Botox

Thank you for your question.  Hair loss is often due to a multitude of factors with stress, temporary fluctuations in hormones, and increasing age being some of the more common.  I do not feel that Botox likely contributed to your hair loss as it is not a reported side effect from studies.  I am happy to hear that your hair has been growing back, however.