Small breast or tubular? (photos)

Hi im 24 years old. Im 5'6 and weigh 156 Ibs. Ive recently been diagnosed with PCOS. Ive always felt i had odd shaped breast in comparison with Girls my age growing up...who seemed to have full round shaped breast even when small. Ive been measure to wear 36C at victoria secret but even then ive never filled im my bras just right because of my odd mild cone shape. Ive learned pcos can affect breast development and cause them to be tubular. Are my breasts tubular or just small for someone my size?

Small breast or tubular?

Judging from the photographs you look to have well formed small to moderate sized breasts. Tubular breast deformity has been overemphasized and is not as common as women think.

Small breast or tubular?

Thank you for your question.  Fortunately you do not have tubular breast.  You do have some constriction of the inferior pole of your breast but if you wish to change the shape or enlarge them a breast augmentation should be all that you need.  Please consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Mild Constricted Breast Shape

Your photographs show that you have a mild tubular or constricted breast shape.  As you have stated, this is evident because of the absence of a fuller and more rounded shape, especially in the inferior portion of the breast.  Your shape would probably fall under the type II classificatio

Typical features of a constricted or tuberous breast include:

• A constricted breast base (the breast occupies less pain on the chest wall)
  • A smaller amount of breast tissue
  • A deficient skin envelope
  • Wider spacing between the breasts
  • An abnormally elevated position of the inframammary fold
  • An enlarged areolar diameter, when compared to the overall breast size
  • A "puffy" nipple areolar complex
  • A more cylindrical, pointed, or conical breast shape

Breast probably exhibit all of these features to a mild degree.

The size and shape of a constricted or tuberous breast can usually be improved with breast augmentation.  The highly cohesive anatomically shaped silicone gel implants usually work very nicely with this type of breast constricted shape.  The shape of the implant integrates nicely with the shape of the breast to produce quite a  natural appearance, with a sloping upper pole and good projection.  A breast lift is sometimes needed to improve or elevate the nipple position and/or the overall shape of the breast.  This can generally be performed in a manner that leaves just a circular scar around the margin of the nipple-areolar complex.

If you are interested in improving the shape of the breasts, be sure to see an experience board certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You do not appear to have the classic definition of a tuberous breast.  Based on your pictures, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation, if that is what you desire.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Not tuberous

You have small breasts. They do not appear tuberous. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Tuberous breast correction advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, i can identify that you have a underveloped and mild tubular Breast. 
I recommend you perform a Tubular Breasts Correction with Breast Augmentation using silicon implants, at the same surgical time.

There is a surgical technique for Tuberous Breasts correction, by which it is arranged the tuberous areolar ring from inside, without requiring areolar reduction. In this technique we also need silicon implants, to get a better Breast volume and projection.

Therefore it is very important that the plastic surgeon who will perform the surgery, has the skills and vast experience in this type of procedure.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It does not appear to me that you have tuberous breast deformity; your breasts are slightly constricted though and your nipples are a little puffy. You do look like a good candidate for a breast augmentation to increase the size and volume of your breasts and release the constriction I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination and take measurements so they can recommend the best implant type/sizes for your body. There are 3D simulators that can show you what you would look like with different types of implants and different sizes, this can be helpful when trying to decide what size would achieve your cosmetic goals. At my office, I use high profile Sientra implants to create a round full result that looks natural, giving you the result that you want. Additionally, i use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Small breast or tubular?

We get many of these questions concerning a tuberous breast, and strictly speaking your breast does have a tight fold and your chest is slightly wide, though not quite tuberous. There are many different breast shapes and you are correct in that PCO does tend to an wider chest and breast spacing and smaller breast size. Breast augmentation can help as it will expand the breast and push the breast fold lower, and a moderate profile implant might also improve the spacing. A board certified plastic surgeon can start you in the right direction.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, you do appear to have characteristics of Tuberous breasts.

Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:

•          Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  •          Inframammary fold misshapen
  •          Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  •          Insufficient breast skin
  •          Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  •          Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)

Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Small breast

From your photos it appears you display a constricted breast. It appears the distance from the bottom of the areola  to the fold is short . It also appears the shape of your breast is more on the tubular side than rounded. An in person exam is more helpful than photos at times

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon