What procedure is right for me? My chin is mildly recessive and with that my face holds a lot of excess fat (Photos)

My chin is mildly recessive and with that my face holds a lot of excess fat. I was told I should look into a silastic chin implant/advancement, but what about buccal fat removal? My lower cheeks are chubby and I would really like a more angular/masculine look. What's best for me? The last picture is what I deem as ideal.

What procedure is right for me? : buccal fat removal and jaw (chin, mandible implants could be an option) #buccalfat #chisealed

Achieving a chiseled, less chubby face requires to address multiple factors in the face and the body composition to contribute to this physical finding. This analysis will help to determine what is the plastic surgery procedure(s) what could best help to correct a chubby face, thus achieve a slimmer more chilled face. 

Some of the physical findings that may need to be addressed to achieve a slimmer / chiseled face are: 

• Lower anterior cheek fullness: this could be addressed surgically with buccal fat removal 
  • Overall body fat: weight loss to achieve a normal or low normal weight for the height ( normal BMI) is a must. (most models with chiseled face have  are "skinny" and therefore have a BMI in the low normal range) 
  • Anterior and lateral cheek bone projection: lack of cheek bone projection won't allow to have a chiseled appearance, event if the above factors are achieved. Therefore, it someone has not good cheek bone projection, he or she may require cheek augmentation/ enhancement with either soft tissue fillers like Voluma or cheek implants 
  • Chin and jaw projection (specially in men): a weak chin or angle of the mandible would impact the appearance of the face, small chin and jaws would make the face to look round and small. Augmenting the chin and or the angle of the mandible with implants will in deed increase the masculinity of the face and enhance the results of the buccal fat removal. Of the implant options I only recommend medpore implants (porous polyethylene implants) rather than silastic (silicone) due to their advantages over the silicone ones. 

Patients interested in determining if buccal fat  removal may help to achieve a chiseled face should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face.

Male Face

In my experience one of the procedures that makes the largest difference in men is a chin implant. Especially if there is lack of bony support to the chin projection. Other options are fat sculpting with transfer to portions of the mandible and chin to give the projection. This is reserved for patients that want modest changes. There is less risks of infection with fat transfer as it uses your own tissue as apposed to a synthetic implant. 

With the correct facial analysis you will get the results you are looking for.

Wish you the best,

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mildly recessive chin and excess facial fat

I think a chin implant and neck liposuction are good options for you.    You are young and the good (or bad!) news is as you age, the face tends to lose volume.  Bur for now, buccal fat removal is also an option but you want to avoid an overly hollowed look, so limited fat removal is better than overdoing it.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facial prodedures

You would benefit from either a chin implant or advancement genioplasty to improve your profile.  Neck liposuction and buccal fat removal will also give you a more sculpted look.   These procedures and easily be done at the same time.  Find a board certified surgeon who does frequent facial surgical procedures for the best outcome.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD, DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Buccal fat removal or chin implant

Thank you for asking about your buccal fat removal.

• An extended chin implant will definitely give you the stronger, more defined and masculine look.
  • You can have buccal fat removal at the same time - it will give you some thinning of the middle of the face.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS