Will botox relieve urinary retention?

I can not empty my bladder and am interested in botox to relax the urinary sphincter. Who would I see for this procedure?

Botox for urinary spincter

Thank you for asking about your Botox.
  • You need to see a urologist for urinary tract Botox.
  • If your spincter is in spasm, Botox willl help
  • The urologist will do studies to see what is causing your urinary retention.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Botox for Urine Retention

I believe if you went and consulted with a Urologist, he or she can evaluate you and give you a better idea of what may or may not work. But yes Botox has been used in cases such as yours.

Botox for Urine Retention

Great question!  It is very unusual to have urine retention secondary to the urethral sphincter not relaxing (a lack of coordination between the bladder contracting and the urethra sphincter relaxing).  Usually the cause is secondary to a neurogenic etiology such as multiple sclerosis.  Botox injections of the external sphincter muscle have been used to relax the external sphincter.  The causes of urine retention  include a weak bladder muscle that is not able to contract efficiently or an external sphincter muscle that won't relax. It may also include obstructive causes in women such as pelvic organ prolapse, inability to relax the pelvic floor muscles, and rarely, a urethral stricture.  Depending on the suspected cause and degree of urine retention, treatments will vary from hands on physical therapy of the pelvic floor, medication, botox, intermittent self-catheterization, indwelling foley catheter, urinary diversion, and an InFlow device to resolve urine retention.  I recommend you follow up with a urologist/urogynecologist that is well trained in female urology.  Hope you find a resolution!

Mary C. DuPont, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Urologist

Botox for Bladder

This is a cosmetic forum that is why you won't see a urologist on the site. You have a question related to your bladder function. I'm not sure how dermatologist, plastic surgeons or Ophthalmologists can answer your question. Please see your doctor.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for urinary retention

Thank you for your question tm1111. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It is not used elsewhere in the body for other purposes such as urinary retention. Please consult with a urologist, Ob/Gyn, or nephrologist for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician