Day 7 after Halo and my face is still on fire! Could they have burned my skin too much? (photo)

I had the halo done on Thursday. I do not know the setting exactly. My face is so red still the brown spots are falling off but underneath looks like a tomato. And my skin is on FIRE! Could I be having a problem?

Day 7 after Halo

Pink is to be expected but pain is not.  You should have been on anti-viral prophylaxis such as Valtrex for 5-7 days.  You may have a contact dermatitis and be reacting to one of the products they sent you home with - I have had patients react to the Cicalfate if they used that protocol with you OR you may have an infection or fungal infection.  Those areas on your forehead are somewhat indistinct but should look similar to the rest of your face.  I would definitely stop all products immediately and return to your physician today. You need a physical examination to see if there is another process at work.  Good luck.  Shelby Bentz MD

Bakersfield Physician

Reaction to Halo Laser

Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry to hear about your recovery. No, this is not the typical result we have seen in our experience with Halo so far. I had the Level II treatment myself 2 weeks ago, and by day 7 I was essentially back to everything looking healed. I would suggest starting an oral steroid, so please contact your surgeon's office. Hang in there... you will still get a nice result!

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to tell from photo

Depending on how aggressive your treatment was, it can take up to 7-10 days for the healing process to occur. More commonly, patients will peel by day 5 and may be pink underneath for another week or so. If you think you might have an infection, then I would contact your provider to be evaluated in person. Another thing which makes the skin burn are certain skin care products like retinols. Stick to a water based moisturizer like cetaphil or use aquaphor if your severely dry. These tend to go on a little easier. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber