Can minoxidil help chronic telogen effluvium? The trigger for the CTE is difficult to remove.

I'm 21 and male, diagnosed by my derm with chronic telogen effluvium. I'm aware of what it is and how it works as I've done some research. I have all of the characteristics, but even if it's somehow AGA, i still want treatment. Can I use rogaine until I get the trigger resolved? Will it work? I've had nothing but mixed advice. The trigger is difficult to address and has been present for a long time, so having my hair back in the meantime would help greatly with addressing the cause.

Telogen effluvium - chronic

I have had good luck using minoxidil and photobiomodulative treatments (i.e. light therapy - like the helmets and hoods) to resolve CTE.  However, these treatments stimulate hair growth as well, which can start with more shedding, so you have to be prepared for that.

In all honesty, you might have some underlying male pattern hair loss, based on what you have said.  Try finasteride for a year - most patients say the first thing they notice is that their shedding stopped.  Big difference!

Good Luck!

Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

CTE in 21 year old male

CTE vs AGA is a difficult diagnosis for a 21 year old male.  Working with your doctor is critical especially for obtaining the diagnosis. Without knowing for sure, you are in a precarious situation

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Stress Free Hair Regrowth Solutions--Prp and progesterone for hair loss

You can try minoxidil, but you have to continue using it to keep your results. I recommend a consultation with a hair loss expert to go over your condition and options. PRP and progesterone injections are good options and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer