Is it possible to go from Norwood 2 to Norwood 1 using Dutasteride and Minoxidil?

I'm a 21 year old asian male and I noticed my hair was thinning a few months ago. My hairline is at about NW2. I'm guessing my hair loss has been going on for about a year, maybe more. Once I noticed my hair loss, I immediately started taking 0.5mg dutasteride (off label) and using topical minoxidil 5%. I've been on this regimen for 2 months. My hair loss seems to have slowed down, but I'm not sure if my hairline will ever come back. Is it possible to regrow my hairline?

Doctor Answers 6

Rogaine plus finasteride for hair loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Given your age of 21, in part your hairline is changing form a juvenile to a more mature hairline.  However, having started on minoxidil and dutasteride as preventative medications will help you keep what you have.  You might want to change from dutasteride to finasteride as it has less side effects.  Also, you should see a hair transplant specialist for a baseline evaluation.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

NW 2 to 1

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Preventative medications do not regrow your hairline, they prevent further loss. It is best for you to have a consultation with a hair restoration expert to assess your non-surgical as well as surgical options. Also, dutasteride has a higher side effect profile than finasteride.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Juvenile to Adult Male Hairline

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is unlikely the medications listed will help in your hair line. It may be part of a normal maturation of your hair line from an adolescent hair line to that of an adult male. Providing pictures may be more helpful.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Hair growth after using minoxidil and propecia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Usually medical hair regiment slows down the progression of hair loss, but there is not significant amount of hair growth specially in the hair line area. If you are concerned about the hair line, it is best to get a consultation to get hair transplant for hair line.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Getting Real Results--Hair loss treatment with PRP/Progesterone, hair transplant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend a consultation with a hair loss expert to go over your condition and options. PRP and progesterone injections are also good options and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Going from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 1

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A Norwood 1 is the juvenile hairline and this may not be the area of the hairline that is impacted by finasteride or dutasteride even with minoxidil

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.