Can I wash my face and have a bath after the Botox injection? Can I drive my car after the injections?

Botox aftercare instructions

Thank you for your question Mano5889. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. For my patients I recommend the following aftercare instructions after a Botox treatment: Please avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after a treatment and avoid lying flat for 4 hours after a treatment. I would advise my patients to avoid a hot bath for 24 hours, but washing the face and driving should be fine. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Can I wash my face, have a bath and or drive after Botox injection? = yes #fb #botox #inejction

The common activity restrictions after Botox injections are related to prevent busing ( e.g. exercise)  or migration of the botox into the eye ( not sleeping or lying down in horizontal position for at least 4 hours) the day of injection. 

Washing the face or driving should not increase the risk of bruising after Botox injection. Therefore they are not contraindicated.

Taking a warm or hot bath the same day after Botox injection could potential cause bruising at the site of infections ( since warm or hot baths could increase the body's blood pressure). Therefore, taking a warm/hot bath after Botox may be considered a relative contraindication.

John Mesa, MD

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.
It is not recommended to rub your face (or injection sites) after Botox for a minimum of four hours.
To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox and after care

After Botox injections it is important not to rub the area for at least 12 hours so be gentle when you wash your face.  Bathing and driving have no effect from Botox and should be no problem

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox Aftercare

Washing your face should not be an issue after receiving Botox as long as you aren't vigorously rubbing or tilting your head all the way over. To be safe, I'd recommend waiting until the evening to do anything and at the point to still use gentle motions. Driving is not an issue and can be resumed as tolerated. And please remember to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon when you're ready to recieve Botox. Best of luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Washing Face and Driving After Botox.

Most of the time patients should keep their heads upright (don't bend over or lie down) for 90 minutes after receiving Botox.  After this, they can wash their faces.  I allow my patients to touch-up their make-up after 30 minutes. Patients can soak in a tub, but I would not want them swimming (due to the chemicals).  Driving is not an issue.  

Washing face after Botox

Yes you can wash your face.  I would wait at least 4 hours before doing anything to your face.  That night you can wash but do it gently.  The following day you can start your usual routine.  You can definitely drive your car afterwards.  

Good Luck

Botox after care

In my opinion, it would be fine to wash your face and have a bath after a Botox treatment.  In washing your face, I would just do it gently though as you would not want to do vigorous massage to your face after the injection.  You would be able to drive your car after the injections as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon