Why do my eyes look worse after lower blepharoplasty than before?

I had lower blepharoplasty March 3, 2016. My eyes prior has some bags but as the day progressed they would clear up. Now after surgery my eyes look far worse. I've had my 6 week post op appt and the ps tried to convince me how good they looked. He talked about how you can't see the scar line. I told him my eyes are much darker than before and they are still puffy. He claims I should give it 6 months, gave me bleaching cream. Said we should try chemical peels under eye for a fee, of course HELP

Lower lids

Thank you for the question and the photos and though an examination is needed you are still early post op.  That said based on the preop photos alone I would have repositioned fat and not removed any but aqain an examination is really needed.

Dr. Corbin

Filler injection after lower blepharoplasty

I notice under eye hollowness, causing some shadow, dark circles. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. Improvement is possible.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Lid Blepharoplasty Eyes Look Worse

Dear ant harvey, If you came into my office based solely on the pre-operative photograph I would not have found you a candidate for lower lid blepharoplasty. The fat that was removed has given you a more hollow appearance making the dark circles appear worse. You still have some swelling that will dissipate and you will need to wait another month to see a realistic outcome of your surgery. Bleaching cream is not going to effect the circles that you have and due to your skin tone I would not consider you a candidate for a chemical peel. I would speak with your surgeon or seek a second opinion at a later date. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

I would have recommended filler not eyelid surgery.

The removal of what little fat you had in your lower eyelid has not helped you.  Unfortunately, the bleaching creams will do nothing.  Because you have an olive skin color, I do not recommend chemical peels.  They could hyper-pigment or hypo-pigment you.  You hare likely still swollen and this is not helping.  I would wait another month and then find an expert injector to perform under eye filler.  Sorry about the frustration.

Post op lower lid bleph

You are very hollow now low down on the lid, at the lid-cheek junction.  I am assuming fat was removed, and while this may eliminate the puffiness, it can create a hollow appearance post-op.  You will need to wait longer for all inflammation to subside, but will most likely need some fillers to restore the volume.  By adding volume you almost always improve the dark circles. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon