What Has Caused my Eyes to Become Asymmetrical?

For a few years now, my eyes have been aymmetrical. I was not born this way, it just started when I was about 17 (6 years ago) and has got worse and worse since. It appears that my left eyelid droops, but I actually think it's the other eye that has the problem, as that it the one I feel discomfort in. The crease in my right eyelid has become so high that the eye is now deep-set looking, whereas the left is.hooded. I get funny looks everywhere I go and it is causing my physical and emotional distress.

There are various causes of asymmetry between the two eyes including difference in upper eyelid position (droopy eyelid, eyelid retraction), lower eyelid position, eyeball position (bulging eye, sunken eye), and bony eye socket (orbit) asymmetry. The treatment depends on the cause. See video below for some examples and more details. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

What Has Caused my Eyes to Become Asymmetric?

Some amount of asymmetry is the norm, but pictures or an exam would be necessary to evaluate your concerns.                                                                                                                                            Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                            Los Angeles, CA

Need a photograph to estimate the magnitude of the problem of eyelid asymmetry.

Slight asymmetries of the eyes are the rule rather than the exception. A photograph would be useful in determining whether or not surgical correction is warranted.

Asymmetrical eyes

It is not uncommon to have some minor asymmetry between the eyes, and the face in general.  When there is an issue with more obvious asymmetry of the eyes, sometimes it can be due to the height of the eyebrow and sometimes it can be due to the eyelid, or both.  Pictures would help to be able to try and determine the cause in your instance.  I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) to have your eyes evaluated, although it's possible that a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon could evaluate you as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon