Are cheek fillers injections bad every year? Does it have any consequence?

I always want to know if is good to inject voluma, radiesse or no matter what filler injection each year, because its not permanent.

Filler injections every year

I think it is important to have a maintenance plan on how to consistently prevent the overall aging process. My goal  is not to make a 50 yr old look 25 yrs old, but prevent the sagging, while maintaining a more youthful and attractive self.  Depending on your age you may need fillers 1 time per year or every 2 years. Initially when I do a consultation, I take into consideration the patient's age. If they are 55 and have not done any fillers, and are normal weight, then they may require fillers every 6 months initially to correct the lost volume from years of not replacing it. But if the patient is 35 yrs old she may need volume every 2 yrs. Usually most patient's in their 50's require 2 Voluma and 1 juvederm every year to stay on top of the aging process. Again this can be altered if they are using hormone therapy(skin stays thicker, increases collagen, prevents bone loss in face) and they have a healthy diet. 

Lake Bluff OB/GYN

Fillers every hyear

Thank you for asking about your facial fillers.

You can have fillers injected as you need them -
Depending on the filler and the area, they may last as long as 2 years or as short a time as 6 months.
But since they are to improve how you look - go by the look you want, not a fixed rule.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Cheek Fillers Every Year and Voluma

Voluma is the ideal filler to inject the cheeks.  It is a perfect plan to inject the filler once a year and this will maintain a healthy amount of collagen and rejuvenate the skin.  Best, Dr. Green

Fillers and Injecting Over Again

there is no harm to getting frequent injections.  long term some produce more collagen than others and will be more preventative to aging.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Annual fillers

There is not a medical contra-indication to getting fillers every year.  Since Restylane lasts about 6 months, Juvederm 9-12 months, and Voluma 18-24 months you would expect patients to need fillers on an annual (or least biannual) basis.  The biggest concern would be overfilling an area and with the hyaluronic acids that could be addressed with hyaluronidase.  There are some studies that suggest hyaluronic acid products may cause some collagen production, so that you need less filler each time an area is treated.  

Craig B. Boswell, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Are cheek fillers injections bad every year?

Thanks for your question. There is no problem getting frequent filler injections for cheek volumization, especially if you are using a hyaluronic acid product. I have many patients who do this regularly. Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Are cheek fillers bad every year?

Depending on the type of filler, the average length of time that the filler lasts is 9-12 months or with Voluma 18-24 months.  There really is no problem with injecting filler every year or even more often other than routine risks associated with injection.  There is even some evidence that the fillers can be additive over time and will help to build up your natural tissue or skin collagen.  All of this should be very safe, but again, review the risks of complications with your injector so you know the routine risks.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  Most of today's fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring compound found within our bodies.  Fillers are an excellent way to restore volume to the body and add support to the tissues to give a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance, with little downtime.  There is no issue receiving fillers each year, and most individuals will received multiple rounds of filler during the year.  Voluma has been shown to have effects for upwards of two years, so a repeat injection may not be required each year.  Hope that this helps. 

Are cheek filler injections bad every year?

There is no problem with having cheek filler injections every year, if it is needed.  Some fillers will last more than a year, so sometimes an injection is not needed every year.  There are also some fillers that last less than a year, so injections would need to be more frequent with these.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon