Should I start finasteride? (photo)

I noticed that my hair is thining couple of years ago my doctor gave me minoxidil but he did no blood test what so ever . He looked at my scalp and that's it . Now im considering taking fin cause to be honest thinning is destroying me . As engineering student i can't handle low self esteem and btw . Im 21 yrs old so should i start fin or what ?

The decision to start a medication is between you and your doctor after an examination and consultation.

The decision to start a medication is between you and your doctor after an examination and consultation.  Low self esteem is not a reason to start a medication.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

AGA in men - do I need blood tests?

For an experienced hair specialist - the diagnosis of AGA is what we call a "clinical diagnosis." .... This simply means that a qualified physician can make the diagnosis after listening to all your story about your hair loss and examining your scalp....
Blood tests are not necessarily needed for men with classic male pattern balding. However, I often screen for cholesterol issues in young men with balding along with blood sugars and blood pressure. A thyroid and hemoglobin is also sometimes ordered.

Stop your hair loss and restore your hairline

Hello. For what I see I will recommend that you consider a treatment to reduce the speed/stop your hairline from going further back. Treatments such as Propecia/Rogaine or PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) are proven to be very effective. The use of non surgical treatments is to be continued for life and will not restore your previous hair line. To restore the hairline you could consider a Hair Transplant.A consultation with a hair specialist will be ideal to detect the exact problem and look for the best possible solution.Best of Luck

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

Should I start taking Propecia, finasteride, for my hair loss?

Your photos are very suggestive of androgenic alopecia.  There is not blood test for this condition.  Hair loss is a normal occurrence in at least 50% of men and women.  I would seek the advice of a dermatologist locally for an evaluation and treatment plan.  We know that the sooner you begin on Propecia and minoxidil, the sooner you will slow down and rarely reverse your hair loss.  Thus, if this is destroying your confidence, it is wise for you to seek the advice of a physician as quickly as possible.  It is also important for you to study the risk factors for taking Propecia.  Propecia could turn into a life long commitment.  If you stop it in later years, you will likely advance very quickly with your hair loss.

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Start finasteride

Although I dont recommend finasteride to my young patients, because of possible side effects and long time of usage , you would better to  start using it . This medication will make you happy %90 in a couple of mo . evntually you will need a HT

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon