How many sessions and how long will it take to remove a tattoo that is 1 inch long and 1.5 inch wide?

I have a tattoo exactly and inch from my wrist folding. I need it removed as soon as possible. I would like to have an estimate of time in which it could be completely removed. My tatto is a little over 6 years old, black ink, not too deep in my skin, 1 inch in length and 1.5 inch in width.

Tattoo Removal

You would be a great candidate for the Alex Trivantage laser. This laser is the only one on the market that can target colors.  The multiple wave lengths can target all the colors in the tattoo with 4-6 sessions.  You should contact a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible.

Laser Tattoo Removal

I wouldn't be able to give you any specifics without seeing photographs. For laser technology I do prefer Pico lasers which are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths making it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments on average. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. Tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. It is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

How many treatments for laser tattoo removal?

Part of your answer will depend on the laser technology you decide to use.  Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers came out about 20 years ago.  Picosecond laser came out about 3 years ago. The majority of former Q-Switch patients we see have significant hypopigmentation (ghosting) around and under their tattoo.  The Q-Switch lasers have trouble differentiating between the melanin in your skin and ink.  The technology uses heat to burn the pigment out of your skin.  In addition, we have seen patients with raised scars as if they have been branded.  Both of these condition are irreversible. Picosecond lasers fire 1000 times faster, using a pressure wave rather than heat to shear the ink molecules apart.  After using the PicoSure for almost 2 years, we have only seen pinpoint hypopigmentation in a very small number of patients usually of darker skin tones.  We cannot say it is impossible to get burned with a Picosecond laser, but it is highly unlikely.  We tell every PicoSure tattoo patient to expect at least 6 treatments, but don’t be surprised if it takes 10 to 12.  Patience is the key for our patients.  We typically see our tattoo removal patients every 6 to 8 weeks initially.  If they have more time than money, we encourage them to come every 6 months as the tattoos seem to continue to fade while they wait. We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  The cost for picosecond treatments will be higher, but you should need less than half the treatments compared to a  nanosecond laser.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Length of time for laser tattoo removal

This is  a difficult question to answer without seeing the tattoo.  However black ink responds best to laser tattoo removal. It can take anywhere from 3 to 10 treatments depending on the location , type of ink, ink density, and depth of the ink.  Results on the upper body and arms tend to be better than the lower body.  Treatments are performed 6 weeks apart. It is best to consult an experience provider

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician