Will my tattoo ever go away? (photos)

I am 10 laser treatments in. I had 9 with q-switched and 1 with picosure. I am almost 3 weeks post picosure and I am seeing a lot of redness/brown pigment in the treated area. I'm worried that once the ink is all gone (that is, if that is even possible), I'll be left with a brown scar of the tattoo. Does my tattoo removal progress look normal? I do not have any raised scarring, just some hyper pigmentation. Thanks in advance!

Laser tattoo removal

It appears to be healing properly.  However, it seems you will have some residual hyperpigmentation.  This can resolve on its own but you can try a lightening agent to help speed up the process.
Good Luck!

Tattoo Removal -- Pico/Q Switched Laser

This appears to be healing properly but needs more treatments and likely combination or R20 method. We will often combine with fractional lasers to help speed the process. Please see a laser expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation

This pigment is due to the inflammation which occurs during the healing process. It does fade over time but often slowly. A topical lightening agent can be helpful such as this one below which you can order online from ZO Skin Health. If the topical alone is not working fast enough you could explore having an IPL treatment done to the area.

Lisa Vuich, MD

ZO® MEDICAL$80Brightamax™ Non-Hydroquinone Non-Facial Skin Brightening Crème

75 mL / 2.5 Fl. Oz.

A full body treatment formulated to help reduce skin discoloration and even skin tone.

• Skin brightening properties
  • Antioxidants help protect and defend the skin against environmental stressors
  • Soothes and helps reduce appearance of redness
  • Helps to hydrate the skin

Advanced Information

• High potency retinol and ascorbic acid-2 glucoside: Breaks up existing pigmentation and increases cell turnover to rapidly brighten and even skin tone
  • Glutathione, soy isoflavones and N-acetyl glucosamine: Prevents new age spots and uneven color
  • Stachys officianalis: Helps block melanin production by blocking messengers triggering melanogenesis
  • Vitamins C and E: Provides antioxidant properties

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician