I read about ultratherapy and I feel confused; the results are controversial?

I read a lot of ultratherapy to lift the face...some people got very good results but for some others it was catastrophic!!! They said ultratherapy melt their face and they lost the fat in their face...so I feel very confused...why some people lost the fat in their face after the procedure? why it works for some , and for some others it was just a disaster as they said? Please I need to understand intellectually why this happened so I may be able to take a decision , to do it or no...thank you in advance

I read about ultherapy and I feel confused; the results are controversial?

Ultherapy is a FDA approved procedure that is very safe and provide good results when performed by experienced and knowledgeable physicians.  Not everyone is a good candidate for Ultherapy, when typically a surgical procedure would be a better option, so expectations should be managed accordingly.

The attahced link provides more information.

Ultherapy

Ultherapy can be an effective treatment to tighten the lower face and neck, and lift the brows. Ultherapy works by using focused high frequency ultrasound waves that target the deep dermis, and the SMAS layer of the face and neck.  This focused energy will heat the deep tissues in a targeted fashion and stimulates collagen production. The collagen production produces a tightening effect that can take up to 6 months to achieve. 

It is important to understand the results you can expect from ultherapy. Ultherapy does NOT achieve nearly the same results that a facelift or a brow lift achieve. If facelift results is what you are expecting then Ultherapy is NOT for you. Ultherapy is a non-surgical option for younger people who may not yet be ready for surgery, or those that are trying to avoid surgery. Ultherapy is essentially a no down time procedure and has this benefit over more invasive procedures. 

It is important to meet with a practitioner that performs Ultherapy frequently and can give you an honest assesment of your candidacy for the procedure and the results you may be able to achieve. 

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy- safety and results.

Firstly, this procedure is cleared by the FDA, and has been used in many countries including the US, Europe, Asia and Australia. 

Secondly, candidate selection is vitally important- not everyone is suitable for Ultherapy. 

Thirdly, the results are variable, but variables can be controlled - such as finding a specialist competent in performing this procedure. Like any other procedure, Ultherapy has its risks, but these risks are minimised but not eliminated by seeing a Board Certified Plastics or Dermatologist. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Ultherapy Results

Ultherapy is the FDA cleared non-invasive procedure to lift and tighten skin on the face, forehead and neck. Ulthera treatments improve wrinkles on the face, neck and décolletage with no downtime. Ultherapy works by administering ultrasound energy to specific depths of skin and muscle with precise ultrasound guidance, which causes tissue tightening and collagen production.

Ultherapy is both patient and technician dependent.  This means that the patient has to be the right candidate and it is important to receive your treatment from a practice that has an expert in Ultherapy.  In our practice, we see amazing results with patients who have mild to moderate skin laxity.

Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Ultherapy Results

Hi and thank you for your question!

I recommend you have your Ultherapy consultation and treatment by a qualified provider and a reputable practice where they do a lot of these treatments. The more treatments a provider and practice has done the greater the skill and experience. We have been doing Ultherapy on a daily basis for several years and have had any instances of fat loss. With any nonsurgical treatments, there are always a range of results and not everyone can expect the same types of changes. However, I feel confident in saying that if done by an experienced and qualified provider (our NP and PA's do the treatments here), it does not melt fat. It absolutely tightens and lifts the skin more effectively than any other nonsurgical procedure on the market.   

Please feel free to call our office or come in for a complementary consultation.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Controversy Around Ultherapy

Hi Rita. Sorry to hear about your confusion regarding Ultherapy. I wouldn't really say the results of the treatment are controversial, however, as the treatment has become more popular and widespread a lot of places are treating people who are not the right candidates for the procedure. Ultherapy is very good for people who have mild to moderate skin laxity. Not everyone is a suitable candidate for the procedure. Choosing the right candidates is crucial for getting an optimal result. Many people will also need more than one treatment and this should be disclosed to them from the start. The treatment is also dependent on the skill and knowledge of whoever is providing it. The machine will not do all the work itself. In the right hands there is no risk of fat loss or unwanted results. The most important thing you can do is have an in-person consultation and evaluation with a physician that provides the treatment. Not a nurse or a tech. If it ends up that you are not a suitable candidate for Ultherapy then there are other treatments that may be beneficial for you. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Ultherapy safe and effective for the right patient

I have been providing Ultherapy for more than 4 years and have not seen any fat loss. The results are inherently variable because the lifting effect depends on the individual's response to the treatment. In general, the older the patient and the thinner the skin, the less the response. It is not an alternative to a surgical facelift.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ultherapy and Long Term Results -- IT CANNOT MELT THE FACE

Ultherapy cannot damage the face if used properly.  It can however give lifting and tightening in those who are good candidates. I find that the procedure either wasn't done properly or the poor results seen were from a stealth device that wasn't the true ultherapy, or the right candidate wasn't chosen.  We combine all our treatments with sculptra to get better outcomes.  Please see an expert who does the treatments themselves.  Dr. Emer.

Ultherapy

First, Ultherapy is FDA-cleared, not "FDA-approved" for non-invasive facial soft tissue lifting or tightening (big difference). The results depend on proper patient selection and subsequent series of treatments for maintenance. What is the right procedure for you can only be answered through in-person consultations with qualified experienced and board-certified dermatologist, facial plastic or general plastic surgeons.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right procedure and specialist

Thank you for your question. There are two major factors which determine the final results:

1. Is Ultherapy the best treatment for the individual? Some people go through with the treatment because it is less expensive than surgical options and is non-invasive. However, if their specific situation and expectations call for a surgical facelift, for instance, they may be disappointed with results from the Ulthera treatment. In some cases, the combination of Ulthera with other treatments such as injectables may help them reach the desired results.

2. Did the patient speak to a specialist in facial procedures prior to deciding on the treatment? Discussing your expectations with a facial plastic surgeon is highly recommended. He or she is best qualified to let you know which treatment or combination of treatments will help you achieve the results you want.

Good luck!

Jennifer Levine, MD