I am 43 and have I have sagging jowls, neck and cheeks. My skin is very thin. Ultherapy or Mini lift? (photos)

I am a thin person and I don't have very much volume in my face or neck. I am considering Ultherapy face /neck, but I'm afraid it may not have good results and may even cause more volume loss in my face. I also have upper lip lines. Would I be a good candidate for Ultherapy or a mini lift? I am concerned with down time (have little kids), and embarrassing obvious facelift scars. Can a neck lift be done under local anesthesia? Any recommendations for my melting face would be appreciated!

Ultherapy vs Face lift- but don't forget volume.

Will need further examination and most importantly understand what your end goals are- you are a candidate for both Ultherapy (will give you a mild to modest improvement) or a mini s face lift -moderate to excellent improvement. One is non surgical with no downtime, one is surgical with downtime. A good surgeon will hide the scars. 

If Ultherapy were to be chosen, (even face lifting), I do advise that fillers be considered after the procedure (or fat transplant with facelifting). Why? Because the balance of skin texture, tone (lifting) and volume gives the best and most natural results. Ultherapy and face lifts just tighten, but replacing volume is equally as important. 

Consult a Specialist who is well versed in the art of surgery, non-surgical options (Ultherapy - Thermage(NOT as good), and facial fillers- fat transfer). This will give you a balanced assessment. 

kind regards

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Ultherapy vs. Surgery

Thank you for your photos and question.  It is important to always have an in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, but from you photos you look like you would be a good candidate for Ultherapy.  A mini lift is a good option too but does have some downtime.  Talk with your doctor about the benefits, risks, pricing and out come expectations with both procedures.  

Ultherapy is a great option if you are not ready for a lift or for downtime.  Even if you decide to get a lift down the road, the Ulthera will help tighten the existing skin and promote collagen growth in the neck area.  Ultherapy can target three different depths: the Dermis (deeper skin), Fat + Connective tissue (Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System-SMAS) and Muscle. The Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System (SMAS) is located below the fat and is a strong tissue that envelops the face. It is made up of collagen, elastic fibers, muscle fibers and fat cells. The ultrasound energy produced during an Ulthera treatment, precisely and consistently heats the targeted tissue to 60-70 degrees centigrade, which is the optimal temperature for contraction and denaturation of collagen.

In addition, filler or sculptra in your jaw (mandible) and chin area will help build up the area where bone loss has occurred which will support some sagging tissue.  

Good Luck! 

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Ultherapy for Neck Tightening

Hi and thank you for your question!

I would recommend you have consultations for both procedures. For surgery, assure its with a board certified plastic surgeon and for the Ultherapy choose a practice that does a lot of these procedures. You can compare the pricing and expected results.  You are definitely in the age bracket and amount of laxity where Ultherapy would be recommended and should provide you skin tightening and lifting with less downtime then surgery. However, surgery does offer more dramatic and longer lasting changes.

Please feel free to call our office and come in for a consultation!

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Ultherapy vs Surgery

Great question and thank you for your pictures. You are the ideal candidate for both procedures so the discussion now turns to you as we have to discuss the pros and cons of each option  and see where you are at. 

Ultherapy is wonderful as it does not require any downtime, results are not the same as a facelift but you do get neck and lower face lifting and tightening and the cost is significantly less. 

A lower face lift/neckl lift vs mini lift are all options for you to consider- to be determined at consultation. Pricing is higher than ulthera, surgery is involved and there is about a 7-10 day downtime with it but results are wonderful and will last as long as you do. 

So you have to decide whats better for you based on the above. The good news about ulthera is that if you are not ready for  surgery at this time then Ulthera will buy you time until you are ready. Good luck!

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Ultherapy vs Surgery

Ultherapy is more effective on patients with thicker skin however your age and your potential to build collagen is in your favor. Given your age and hesitation for surgery I would recommend Ultherapy in addition to other minimally invasive procedures such as fillers and Sculptra for overall facial volumization. It appears you may be a candidate for Kybella for the fullness under your chin and filler to enhance your chin projection which will help with jawline definition and diminish your jowls. Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has experience in Ultherapy and aesthetic injectables. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulthera.

Ulthera is a great option, especially if you are hesitant to have anything surgical done. I would definitely consider this treatment and would see a specialist that tailors the treatment for each patient. I think you are a great candidate.
Dr. P

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

You are a candidate for a neck lift with platysmaplasty but non invasive options can be tried to give you some improvement.  This will not give you a neck lift result though.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Mini facelift better than Ultherapy or RF for thin skin

All nonsurgical devices for facial and neck tightening work better when the skin is not too thin. Facelift scars should not be obvious or embarrassing! Although I believe that Ultherapy and some other nonsurgical devices work well, your results would be better in the long run with a surgical approach.

Richard Baxter, MD

Sagging Jowls....Ulthera or Minilift

There are nonsurgical procedures such as ulthera and surgical procedures, the mini lift.
 the procedures should address the problems with your face.  These include: jowls, loss of volume, excess skin, and thin lips. Ulthera does not address these problems.  Lutheran attempts to tighten the skin as well as the under lying tissues. It will not address the other problems of your face. Face & Neck lifts can be done under local anesthesia now with minimal downtime.  This will address the sagging skin as well as the jowls. You just need to find the right surgeon. Also, fat transfer can be performed at the same time as the mini lift and this will address the vote loss as well as the thin lips.  Both can be performed at the same time under local anesthesia. Fat transfer is permanent and long term in my hands and is performed at the same time as a mini lift. For the best result, I would recommend a lift as well as volume replacement with fat and all your problems ares would be addressed. 

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Neck Tightening

You will likely need multiple Ultherapy treatments for any significant result. You would be a better candidate for ThermiTight, which in my opinion is the best non-surgical skin tightening treatment. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon