"Cool Mini" to get rid of double chins... Does it work? (photos)

Hi Doctors. I'm 25 y/o and active yet, I can't seem to get rid of this little double chin I have. It seems to be genetic as everyone in my family seems to have a little one regardless of their size. I have had CoolSculpting done in the past on my midsection and would say I had maybe a 60% successful result. Does the CoolMini work for double chins? Are there any other alternatives besides traditional liposuction? Thank you!

The CoolMini® applicator was specifically designed to treat double chin.

Having a double chin is something you can thank your mother or father for, as it tends to be hereditary. For people who inherit a double chin, no amount of diet or exercise can remove it. That’s what makes non-surgical fat reduction with CoolSculpting® so popular, as it’s one of the most effective alternatives to liposuction. The FDA recently approved the CoolMini®, a specialized applicator designed specifically for double chins. Most people will need one or two CoolMini® treatments with final results appearing approximately 10 to 12 weeks after treatment. Be sure to work with a certified CoolSculpting® Technician to ensure you get the best outcome.

Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Submental Cool Sculpting

Dear Calicurves, Cool Sculpting to the submental area has been around since the later part of 2015 so one of the newest areas for cool sculpting. You could possibly benefit from a cool mini under the chin but if not enough to fill the cup per say, kybella would also be a nice option for you. I would seek a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon office in your area who offers both. At your age I feel like kybella or cool mini is totally worth trying before surgery! Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolMini Can Eliminate Double Chin

It looks like you'd be an excellent candidate for CoolSculpting's CoolMini applicator, which was designed to treat the under-chin area via cryolipolysis. CoolMini provides up to 25-30% fat reduction in one session, and more than one session can be performed for more dramatic results. Kybella, which is an injectable treatment to melt chin fat, might also work. Please consult with a board-certified dermatologist to find the best treatment for you.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Cool Mini or Kybella

The CoolMini applicator is FDA approved to treat the submentum. It is only a 45 minute application compared to the traditional hour long applications with most the other applicators. Besides traditional liposuction i would suggest the use of the CoolMini or Kybella as an option for you. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for the "Double Chin"

Based on your pictures, it appears that you may be a good candidate for CoolSculpting the submental region.  As long as the applicator fits, it seems you would need 1 to 2 treatments.  Make sure to get a consultation with a Certified CoolSculpting specialist to see if you are definitely a candidate.  If not, there are some other non-surgical options, like Kybella, that can also help reduce the amount of fat in the area.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Cool Mini for Double Chin

CoolSculpting is effective for treating fat under the chin.  Treatment with the CoolMini allows people who have genetic and metabolic factors working against them to achieve the look they desire.  There is no downtime and very little swelling or bruising with the CoolMini.  There are no incisions, dressings or bandages to change, and you can return to your regular activities immediately after your CoolSculpting treatment.

Tina B. West, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for the chin

Thank you for your question. Based on your photo you appear to be a great candidate for coolsculpting of your chin. Depending on the extent of your submental fat you may need 1-2 treatment to cover the area. Find a plasticsurgeon in your area that offers coolsculpting. Best of luck. 

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. The chin applicator is very effective for the right candidate. In office examination will determine if its the right choice.  

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Double Chin Treatments

Great question!  Coolsculpting with the CoolMini can be an effective way to reduce unwanted submental fat and improve your profile.  When treating the “double chin,” the CoolMini offers a relatively painless and minimally invasive option with results achieved in 1-2 treatments. One benefit of choosing Coolsculpting is the limited down time.  After a treatment, you can expect to be pink or red for about 20 min with mild swelling present for hours to days. Many patients return to work the day after treatment. The limitation of Coolsculpting happens to be the size of the applicator.  The CoolMini attachment is only available in one size, so depending on one's neck anatomy, the CoolMini may or may not be a good fit. In addition to CoolSculpting and liposuction, Kybella offers another option. Kybella is the first and only injectable product for treatment of submental fullness. Kybella works by destroying a portion of the excess fat cells in the neck, allowing us to create an improved contour.  Most patients can expect an improved chin profile in 2-4 treatment sessions spaced about a month apart. The benefit of Kybella is how customizable it is.  The injector can map out a treatment area to fit your specific anatomy/needs.  The down side of Kybella can be the post-treatment swelling.  Many patients develop significant swelling and require a few days before being considered socially presentable. There are precautions we take in our practice to reduce swelling, including pre- and post-treatment ice, the injection technique, and the wearing of an elastic chin/neck wrap after treatment.   Liposuction of the neck, Kybella, and Coolsculpting can all achieve good results.  It would be beneficial to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon offering all three treatments, to determine the optimal treatment for you. 
Kind regards,
Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolMini is effective in reducing fat under the chin

Hi calicurves.  The CoolMini has been successful in my practice in reducing the fat under the chin.  Results are improved whenever the skin tone is good--hence, an in person examination is important in setting expectations before proceeding.  Typical treatment takes an hour.  Advanced techniques can treat the sides with a slight overlap in the center.  Be sure to seek a provider that has undergone the advanced training from Coolsculpting University.  Other options to liposuction include Kybella injections and the Profound radiofrequency microneedling device. Best wishes,

Vaishali B. Doolabh, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon