Compression garment or binder?

Why do some doctors recommend binders and some compression garments? Is there a difference, or one better then the other? My dr said since im so small (100 pds) that a binder would bunch

Compression garment or abdominal binder?

I think that this is often a confusing point for many patients who elect to have a tummy tuck.  Some surgeons use these terms interchangeably, but there are some significant differences between abdominal binders and compression garments.  

Abdominal binders are generally an elastic band that can wrap around your midsection and can be adjusted to be made tighter or looser.  These binders are generally employed for the first week or so following a tummy tuck, but are generally not used for much longer as they tend to be less comfortable, require frequent adjustments, and can roll up on patients with prolonged use.  Compression garments are usually made of a spanx-like material, have no boning, and typically have no zippers or clasps.  It is important to note that 'waist trainers' are neither an abdominal binder nor compression garment, and they are not acceptable forms of compression following a tummy tuck.  

In my practice, patients begin in an abdominal binder for the first week or so following a tummy tuck and then transition into a seam-less compression garment until they have reached their 1 month post-op mark.  I have found that compression garments tend to be more comfortable for patients, can be worn easier beneath regular clothing, and provide acceptable compression to help prevent the accumulation of fluid while the soft-tissue of the abdominal flap re-adheres to the soft-tissue below.  

I would recommend following up with your operating surgeon to discuss his/her specific philosophy regarding compression in the immediate post-op period.  Your surgeon will be your best resource and any concerns should always be addressed with him/her.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best.

Compression garment versus binder

Every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol which definitely extends to this issue. Binders are often used at first since they are adjustable. Then the patient is moved into a compression garment. Since your surgeon has seen you in person, you to trust his or her recommendation. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Garments vs Binders

Dear Ms. Ella W,

Thank you for your questions.  I assume you undergoing a abdominoplasty.

Binders are most useful in the early post operative time because they are easily adjustable.  They can move, roll up and require adjustments.

After the majority of the swelling has dissipated I will have my patients move to a more fitting compression garment usually worn for 6 weeks. 

In liposuction patients there is a first stage compression garment worn for the first 
several weeks and then a second stage more form fitting compression.

I trust your Plastic Surgeon is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are ideally a  member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes on a safe and successful surgical experience.

Dr. R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Compression garment or binder?

A compression garment is in my opinion more comfortable and possibly more effective than a surgical binder.

Fred Suess, MD

Tummy tuck recovery. Binder vs compression garment

In my practice we apply a surgical binder at the conclusion of the procedure but usually recommend that patients obtain a "waist cincher" without any "bones" or plastic struts to gently compress the stomach.  The benefit of the latter is that they are more form fitting and lighter (for hot weather) and much easier to wear under clothing.  In the end, anything that gives even smooth compression will serve your purpose as long as it is adequately supportive.  

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Compression garment or binder after tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• A very good question - the goal of both is for you to have less pain.
  • I generally use both a garment and a binder.
  • The garment provides skin support for swelling for  6 weeks.
  • The binder provides stronger muscle support in the first 1 -2 weeks.
  • Binders can be cut down to fit almost any size
  • On the other hand, your surgeon has examined you and knows what is planned -
  • Follow her/his suggestion.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Compression garment or binder?

Thank you for your excellent question.  In general the choice of a post surgery garment is physician and patient preference.  As neither will effect your long-term surgical results, the choice should be based on what maintains your comfort the best.  As each limits swelling, this will also limit the associated pain that comes with it.  Hope that this helps.

Binders vs. Garments

Postoperative compression varies from surgeon to surgeon, and when something is a matter of preference, it usually means that either one is a reasonable choice.  Certainly in a smaller patient, I have found that garments seem to sit more securely than a binder. I would recommend following the recommendations of your board-certified plastic surgeon, and best of luck.

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment

Hello dear, thanks for question, it will depend on the PS, in my practice I recommend the compression garment to my patienst because are more confortable to wear under regular clothes and it will help a lot with the swelling and with your body shape. But is how I ssaid at the begining it will depend on your PS, so I suggest to have a closele comunication with him and see what he prefers for you. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Compression garment or binder?

I appreciate your question.

It is dependent on surgeon preference.   In my opinion, compression garments are more comfortable for patients and help with the swelling.  Best to confirm with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz