Can hyaluronidase remove collagen?

can Hyaluronidase remove some of the body collagen or does it only remove the HA filler , is there a risk of too much of it thanks

Hyaluronidase

Hyaluronidase only dissolved hyaluronic fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm and not collagen.  Best, Dr. Green

Does Hyaluronidase Dissolve Collagen

Thank you for asking your good question. Fortunately, Hyaluronidase will not dissolve any of the body's collagen. Good luck.

Hyaluronidase

Hyaluronidase dissolves hyaluronic acid. It does not dissolve collagen in any way. Best of luck with your issue.

Hyaluronidase vs Collagenase to remove hyaluronic acid filler and collagen

Hi Sarah 1988k!

Thanks for this question. I believe others may have a similar confusion.  

HA or hyaluronic acid is a long molecule of sugar and amino acid subunits made in the human body and in particular, produced in the dermis of the skin to maintain hydration, structure and sponginess due to its hydrophilic properties.

HA gel fillers are now synthesized from a human gene, purified and injected into various layers of the skin to achieve its results. If it attracts too much water, patients have the option to use an enzyme to break it down. 

Hyaluronidase is the enzyme made in the human body but also made by animals and bacteria. Hyaluronidase from different species breakdown the HA molecule at different places according to the need of that species. Animal derived hyaluronidase is used by physicians to breakdown the HA molecule. Different concentrations of hyaluronidase are commercially available. Some physicians use it undiluted. I will typically dilute it by 50 to 90% in order not to overly erase the effects of the injected HA. 

It does have the theoretical ability to breakdown natural HA in the skin as well. 

Collagen is a series of different long protein molecules (and therefore different from HA). Collagenase is made by bacteria and the human body to breakdown collagen. It is recently used to thin the overproduction of disabling collagen bands of the hands known as Dupuytren's bands or contracture. Collagenase is NOT used to breakdown hyaluronic acid. 

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to further explore your concerns. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Hyaluronidase

Simple answer--no. Hyaluronidase acts on hyaluronic acid not collagen.  there is no enzyme that is used to remove collagen

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist