Is it OK to get a hysterectomy and tummy tuck at the same time?

I am a 45 year old female with 3 kids. I have a large uterine cyst (it's benign) and my ob/gyn is recommending a hysterectomy. She will also take the fallopian tubes but leave my ovaries. I asked about getting a tummy tuck at the same time and she thought it would be OK. They would just do the hysterectomy "open" and then have the plastic surgeon come to perform the tummy tuck. What are the next steps you recommend?

Combined procedures

Hi aaraucto and thanks for your question! As long as both your ob/gyn and plastic surgeon have communicated and agreed that it is safe, then you should be good to go. Just make sure that they are fully staffed and you are fully aware of the risks and complications. I wish you the best of luck!

Yes I agree totally with that plan. You can have both safely at the same time. So consult with each respective surgeon, but the warning is that they will both need to be on staff at the same facility to have it done. Usually for it to be cost effective for you, you want to do it at an outpatient surgery center that have cosmetic fees in place because usually they are more reasonable than the hospital fees. 

Sincerely

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hysterectomy and Tummy Tuck

While it is possible to do the procedures at the same time, this is something you should discuss with your OB and your plastic surgeon. If they feel the procedures can be done safely at the same time, and that is something you wan to do after getting all the facts, then do so. Otherwise, do the procedures in separate stages.

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Although these two procedures could be combined from a technical standpoint, it is often not advised to combine a necessary medical procedure with a cosmetic procedure. I think that if you do combine them, you are taking on an increased risk of complications such as infection or other surgical complications. This is not to say that it cannot or should not be done, but that it comes with increased risk. Discuss this with your OB and with your board certified plastic surgeon in detail. If they think they can safely perform the procedures together and you are accepting of the increased risk of complications, then proceed. If not, then delay and stage the procedures.

Hope this helps!

Bad idea

Combining an open gynecological procedure with an elective abdominoplasty is risky at least. The theory is that you are combining a procedure with higher risk for contamination with a "clean" procedure. I would recommend that you stage the procedures. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty at the Same Time as a Hysterectomy

This is an interesting question since there is a slight debate about this in the medical literature.  While many surgeons will say that this is a safe practice, medical research, at least in a couple of papers, suggests that you have a higher incidence of infection as well as a higher incidence of DVT or blood clots in your legs as a result of combining the two procedures.  The increase is small but significant nonetheless.  

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Hysterectomy and tummy tuck combo

• So long as your plastic surgeon and gynaecologist both feel you are a safe candidate for surgery it is likely fine to proceed with a  hysterectomy and tummy tuck.  They will know best.  The recovery may be a bit more sore for a few days but should not change it dramatically.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville who cares for patients from Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Georgetown, Milton and the GTA.  He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of the few plastic surgeons in Canada with 5-star ratings on RealSelf, RateMD and Ontario Doctor Review.  He is the director of cosmetic surgery training and an assistant clinical professor at McMaster University.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Is it OK to get a hysterectomy and TT at the same time?

Thank you for sharing your question and I hope your surgery goes well.  It is safe to undergo a tummy tuck procedure with a hysterectomy.  Your plastic surgeon will elevate the skin from your stomach muscles which then will allow your ob/gyn to open the muscles in order to remove your uterus.  The next step would be to find a board certified, ASPS plastic surgeon who would be willing to perform this procedure and can work with your ob/gyn to maximize your result.  Hope this helps.