Why is my face "freezing" in odd positions after Botox? (photos)

Two months ago I had my first treatment of Botox. I had 20 units injected all around my forehead and brows. Since then my face has been "stuck" in odd positions if I touch my forehead (no more manipulation than washing my face). I called the PS and they said they hadn't heard of this before. The results last around 7-10 minutes or if I seem to rub the area I can massage it back to normal. Here are pictures.

Botox results

I have performed thousands of Botox treatments and, honestly, I have never seen this complication. I am notsure it is related to the Botox but if it is, the Botox will wear off after 3-4 months.

Botox

Thank you for your question and photos.  I have not heard of this in my many years of injecting.  Every once in a while a patient has odd things happen to them, in this case we look for alternative treatments to Botox.   Good news is, Botox only lasts 3-4 months.   Be sure you are seeing an experienced injector. 

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Less is more

You may want to try less Botox in the future to keep some of the muscle movement.  You purchase Botox by the unit usually so you can always go back for more.  Good luck

Adrian Smith, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Botox side effects

Thank you for your question juliemaggio22. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. I have not heard of such a case before. But the good news is that the results last about 3-4 months. For my patients with adverse events after a Botox treatment, I recommend that they seek alternate treatments for their concerns. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

The Magic is in the Details

The muscles located in the forehead are grouped into two (2) important regions. So, in fact, your "forehead" is not actually your forehead.  The area located between the brows moves independently and differently than the areas located from mid-forehead upward to hairline.  It is difficult to say from you description whether the 20 units of Botox delivered was put in an advantageous position.  It is possible to effect a positive change depending on how your muscle movement is read, interpreted, and treated with 20 units, and also possible to deliver the same 20 units to create a heavy, motionless brow.  It appears as though what you are experiencing is a "dropped brow." The "indents" that I am seeing in your third picture can be some fluid accumulation known as edema.  Fortunately, nothing about Botox is permanent (the good effects, or the occasional bad effects), so this will more than likely resolve itself  over four to six weeks.  It may be necessary to consider a more favorable injection pattern the next time.  

David Owers, MD
Vancouver Physician

It is a bad botox service with a variation on the frozen forehead look.

You look much better without the botox.  I recommend finding an injector who does my microdroplet botulinum toxin treatment which lifts the eyebrows and does not freeze the forehead.  Your eyes also look ptotic in the after picture but this might simply be lack of effort on your part.  I think it is time to find a new botox injector if you are going to stay with this service.