loose skin and dimpling on upper abdomen

What is the best procedure for loose skin on my upper abdomen. I am a 45 year old women. I am thin and I don't really have any fat there, just saggy skin.

Loose Skin On Abdomen

Without knowing how much loose skin is available on the abdomen, it is difficult to say what procedure you may be a candidate for.  Some patient with "loose" abdominal skin may be good candidates for an abdominoplasty.  I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation .  During your consultation your surgeon can tailor the abdominoplasty procedure to your needs. Some patients will require a mini, full, extended, belt or reverse abdominoplasty. In either case, excess fat and tissue is trimmed away and the abdominal muscles are  tightened to give a firm appearance.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck usually best for loose skin on upper abdomen

Because each person's situation is at least a little bit different, there is more than one approach to tummy tucks but some version is likely to be best when there is loose skin in the upper abdomen. Variations include the full tummy tuck (most often best), a mini (used when the only loose skin is in the lower abdomen), and a reverse tummy tuck (not commonly done but may be considered when the only loose skin is in the upper abdomen.) A personal consultation is needed to determine which of these is best for you.

Richard Baxter, MD

Loose skin and dimpling on upper abdomen

It's difficult to say without photographs, but loose skin on the abdomen is best treated with some type of tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck uses an incision low on the abdomen, and a second incision around the belly button to remove excess skin from the tummy. This also gives your surgeon the opportunity to tighten the abdominal wall. The abdominal wall can be stretched during pregnancy.

In person consultation with a plastic surgeon will help you determine how best to proceed.

There are a variety of tummy tucks that can produce a good cosmetic result in the appropriate patient: a mini tummy tuck, a modified with an umbilical float, or a variety of a full abdominoplasty, all of which may, or may not, include tightening of the muscle and liposuction. Generally if there is significant loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button), a full tummy tuck will result in a greater correction and better outcome.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Without photos, it is difficult to give an opinion.  By your description of excess skin in the upper abdomen, it sounds like you should seek consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss a tummy tuck.  

Tummy Tuck

It is my pleasure to answer your question. If you have extra skin in your tummy probably you need a Tummy Tuck surgery. I recommend you to post pictures for orientations.

Aramis Vega, MD

Loose skin on abdomen

A tummy tuck can address the loose skin on your abdomen, leaving you with a more contoured, firmer look.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help give you additional information about this procedure, such as risks and benefits, as well as confirming if it is the right procedure to help you achieve your surgical goals.

Camille Cash, MD

Loose abdominal skin

Excessive loose skin over the abdominal area usually requires a tummy tuck.  Of course a consultation and examination would be required to answer your question definitively.  A tummy tuck procedure addresses loose abdominal skin, excess fatty deposits and can remove stretch marks below the umbilicus if they are present.  Many women who are small and thin require tummy tuck following pregnancy and childbirth.  Unfortunately, weight loss and exercise cannot correct excessive loose skin on the abdomen.

Loose abdominal skin

Without pictures or a physical exam, it is very difficult to be able to accurately answer this question.  However, in general, loose skin of the upper abdomen is best treated the same way as for the lower abdomen--through a low transverse tummy tuck scar.  Any bulging of the belly wall that you may have could also be corrected if you have separation of the muscle from previous pregnancy.  There are some nonsurgical (laser) techniques that can also be used to tighten skin without the need for a scar but in my experience having used various lasers, the results are usually somewhat disappointing.  Best of luck if you chose to have surgery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  As you can imagine, without photographs, online consultants will not be of much specific help to you. However, based on your description of "loose skin"  it is probable that you will do best with a full tummy tuck operation.  Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.