Ciprofloxacin Antibiotic pills post BBL surgery, are they good?

Hello all, :) please tell me if Ciprofloxacin HCL 500 mg is a good antibiotics to take the days following a BBL?, dosage is one pill a day for 5 days, thank you!!

Antibiotics after BBL

Yama,

Thanks for the question.

It is best to ask your surgeon.  That being said, many physicians have stopped giving antibiotics postoperatively as studies have shown they are not necessary.  Antibiotics given just before the start of a procedure are much more effective.

Lastly, Cipro is a strong antibiotic, but not the best for a liposcution and/or BBL.  It covers a different type of bacteria not usually seen with BBL procedures.  Pennicillin or a Cephalosporin (Keflex, etc) are better.

Good luck.

Dr. T

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Antibiotics and surgery

Each surgeon may have a slightly different "take" on antibiotic prescribing and surgery.  Best to discuss directly with your surgeon.

Antibiotics after surgery

Any antibiotic choice after surgery should be made by your operating doctor. There is usually a good reason why a certain antibiotic is chosen for postoperative coverage. In many cases, antibiotics after surgery haven't been shown to be helpful. Ciprofloxacin is often a good choice for this situation.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics after BBL

Hi yama987,

Antibiotics after BBL is a decision that should be made by your operating surgeon.  The choice of antibiotics and duration of treatment differ between practices.  Some surgeons don't even use antibiotics after surgery, as the evidence doesn't clearly support its use.

I would urge you to contact your plastic surgeon to discuss this question.

Hope that helps.

Dr. B