What vitamins should be taken before surgery and which ones should be stopped before surgery?

A friend asked me when should we start taking vitamins b4 our surgery and I'm unsure being that we haven't made our deposits yet. We are getting a TT, Lipo, bbl and muscle repair. What vitamins should we take b4 surgery?

Your plastic surgeon will provide you with a list of "do's and don'ts" prior to surgery. Personally, I do not think that any special vitamins are necessary before or after surgery.  Careful attention to a healthy diet and hydration prior to and after surgery are important however. Again, a list of medications/herbs to avoid will be provided to you by your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

You should discuss what medications, supplements, and vitamins you are taking, both prescription and over the counter, with your plastic surgeon and have him or her decide what you should and should not be taking. Your surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). It is important to follow all pre and post-operative instructions.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Preop medications.

Most offices have specific lists of what medications you should and should not take before and after surgery.  Contact your surgeon's office for this information.  They know your specific medical history and are the appropriate person to answer this question.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre op and post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Medications/supplements

This really differs per practice seeing as every surgeon has a slightly different post operative protocol so I would contact your doctors office and ask for their list of medications/supplements to take and avoid. Vitamin C can aid in recovery and reduce inflammation so it is beneficial to take that daily. This is what I generally recommend for my patients pre and post operatively for daily good health: Vitamin C with rose hips 1000mg 3xdaily,  Zinc 50mg daily, L-Arginine 1000mg daily, Probiotic daily (recommend probiotic America obtained off the internet), Organic apple cider vinegar (2teasoons in 8oz glass 3x 1day), High protein diet (es. Chicken, fish, lentils, quinoa, brown rice), and Alkalinize your body (es. Dark leafy vegetables, fruits, etc). I hope this helps. Best of luck. Supplements that should be discontinued are medications like aspirin or ibuprofen that can increase your risk of bleeding and other complications. I also recommend that my patients discontinue taking Vitamin E, green tea supplements, garlic supplements and St John’s Wort. It’s always best to take the advice of your surgeon and his medical staff though. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins before surgery

Thank you for your question.  I think it is important that you defer to your operating surgeons specific pre-operative instructions, especially in regards to what medications (vitamins included) are appropriate to take or necessary to discontinue prior to your scheduled/proposed procedure.  Some surgeons ask that you discontinue all vitamins, while others might suggest that you begin taking specific vitamins, and your specific medical health profile and history will largely influence these recommendations.  I hope you find this helpful.

Questions about pre-op vitamins

Thank you for your question. Realself can be a valuable resource, but we recommend that all specific questions about medications (including vitamins) be directed to your specific surgeon. They are best able to offer specific medical advice. 

Surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Every surgeon has their own protocol for pre-operative vitamins.  You are smart to think about this early.  I would recommend speaking with your surgeon. Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Supplements and vitamins

I would advise to stop taking any supplement with Vitamin K three weeks prior and after surgery as well as any supplements with herbals ingredients or oils that may promote bleeding.  

Susan Kolb, MD

Vitamins and surgery

Each surgeon is a bit different, and you should ask yours, but I usually have patients take Vitamin C for healing and One multivitamin daily.  Best of luck.