What Would Cause my Breasts to Shrink?

As a teen I was a 32B, I was athletic back then with a very low % of body fat. I am now 30 and lost appx 30 lbs in the last year. I'm nearly back at my teenage weight and now an A cup. My body fat % today is quite a bit higher now, so this doesn't make any sense to me.

Breast changes with age

Unfortunately, what you are experiencing are the normal changes that occur in the breast with age.  When you are younger, your breast has more fibrous and dense tissue.  As you age, this becomes more fatty in consistency and you start to lose some of the structural support in the breast.  Also, where your body decides it will store fat also changes with age and may not necessarily go where we want it.  The same thing goes for facial aging, where we lose volume in our face as we get older despite being the same weight.

If you are desiring fuller breasts but not necessarily implants, then you may want to consider fat grafting where you borrow fat from one part of the body where you don't want it and add it the area where you want more volume.

Breasts

Breast size will only change with your weight after they are fully developed. This must be your natural breast volume. You may do well considering augmentation

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation +breast shrinkage +mommy makeover

hi and thanks for your question!

The answer is twofold. One, your breasts are not as firm as they were when you were younger. Even though you have a higher body fat percentage, the tissue in the breasts tend to become looser as we age. Also, your breasts have been exposed to gravity and this causes the breasts to drop over time and appear thinner. 

Hope this helps!

Please contact our office if you have any further questions.

Sincerely, 

Dr Lakshman

Shankar Lakshman, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

The Incredible Shrinking Breast

The observation that you have made, that your breast volume seems to be decrease as you become older is not unusual.  The breast is made up of two different types of tissue, the fibrous tissue known as breast parenchyma and fat.  As women age (and with changes related to hormones, pregnancy, etc.), the relative proportion of breast tissue and fat can change.  Generally, as women age, the breast tissue is replaced by fat cells.  In thin women, such as yourself, the fact that the breast is mostly fatty tissue and less dense breast tissue means there will be less breast volume as you lose weight or as your fat decreases.  You sound like the kind of person who would be an ideal candidate for breast augmentation.

Neal Handel, MD

Breasts change with age

You are describing a very common scenario in which breast shape and size changes as you get older. Weight gain and weight loss plays a major role in this. Pregnancy is another factor that contributes to what you are describing.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO

Breasts Shrinking

As you age, you breasts naturally lose volume and perkiness, particularly in the upper pole. This effect can be further enhanced when breasts deflate after pregnancy or significant weight loss. While the weight loss draws your attention more sharply to the matter, the reality is that you breasts would likely appear similar today even if you had maintained the same weight throughout. In general, breast augmentation with a silicone or saline implant is solution to your problem. See a board certified plastic surgeon to help develop a plan that is unique for your situation and your desired results. 

Joseph Parks, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast size, Changes in Breast Size, Hormones and Supplements, Breast Fat,

There are two different components to the breast: 1. Fat and Connective tissue 2. Ductal System

Fat will fluctuate with weight but the ductal system which is the milk producing/secreting component will change with hormones.  The latter will change based on your stage in life; puberty, teenage years, chill bearing years, pregnancy, breast feeding, and...menopause.  Supplements effect this part.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a a"board certified plastic surgeon" who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check surgeons experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.  There are many surgeons including myself who do virtual consultations as well.

Verify that your surgeon is Board Certified by "The American Board of Plastic Surgery".  

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD, FACS

Changes in breast size with time

Breast size and shape can often change over the course of time.  Breast composition gradually shifts with age from more glandular tissue to more fatty tissue.  Weight gain and then loss, hormonal changes with age, pregnancy, and breastfeeding can all affect breast size.  Your situation is, in many ways, not unexpected.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Do you know why breasts change size? Find out what might cause your breasts to grow or shrink.

Breasts may change size and shape for a variety of reasons throughout an average woman’s life. Some of these changes are hormonal (such as those experienced during pregnancy or menopause) while others are tied to lifestyle (weight gained or lost due to a changing diet or fitness regime) and even stress. Another cause we must consider is aging.

Volume loss is a factor for a lot of women, not just in the face but also the breasts. Youthful breasts include tissue that is more dense than older breasts, whose tissue may become more “fatty” and lose structure due to increasing laxity. In other words, as a woman ages, her breats may not be as perky or full, even when all other factors (weight, nutrition, exercise) remain constant.

If a shrinking cup size is an issue for you, the best way to combat it is to talk with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who can recommend the appropriate course of action for your unique situation

Colin White, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Aging

Your breast size will change (typically decrease) as you age or lose weight.  There is an increase in the amount of fat cells and a decrease in breast tissue as you age.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon