What Would Cause my Breasts to Shrink?

As a teen I was a 32B, I was athletic back then with a very low % of body fat. I am now 30 and lost appx 30 lbs in the last year. I'm nearly back at my teenage weight and now an A cup. My body fat % today is quite a bit higher now, so this doesn't make any sense to me.

Breast changes with age

Unfortunately, what you are experiencing are the normal changes that occur in the breast with age.  When you are younger, your breast has more fibrous and dense tissue.  As you age, this becomes more fatty in consistency and you start to lose some of the structural support in the breast.  Also, where your body decides it will store fat also changes with age and may not necessarily go where we want it.  The same thing goes for facial aging, where we lose volume in our face as we get older despite being the same weight.

If you are desiring fuller breasts but not necessarily implants, then you may want to consider fat grafting where you borrow fat from one part of the body where you don't want it and add it the area where you want more volume.

What would cause my breasts to shrink?

Thank you for your question.  What you are describing is actually a normal process.  When you are younger your breasts are much more dense and have more fibrous tissue.  As you age your breasts become less dense and more fatty.  If you combine those changes along with losing weight (30 pounds), then it is reasonable to expect that some of that weight loss would come from your breasts.  People also tend to lose and gain weight in different areas of their body.  I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to address your concerns.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breasts

Breast size will only change with your weight after they are fully developed. This must be your natural breast volume. You may do well considering augmentation

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What Would Cause my Breasts to Shrink? #breast size changes #age

Thank you for your question!  Unfortunately, as we age we notice changes to many regions of the body, especially the breasts.  Whether it's due to having children, aging, changes in body weight, or structural changes within the breasts, your anatomy will change over the years.  Typically you will notice the breasts becoming softer, less perky, and smaller with loss of volume.    Not only will the breasts seem to lose volume, but relatively often the breasts begin to sag.  This is why breast augmentation with or without a breast lift are some of the most common procedures a plastic surgeon performs.   It is always recommended to search for a Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon in your area to consult with. 

I hope this helps!

Shrinking of Breasts

Thank you for your question.  What you're experiencing right now is not uncommon since the tissues in the breasts tend to be less dense as people age.  Loosing weight can also be a reason why your breast size is changing.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Changes in Breast Size

Breast size can be effected by weight fluctuations. When you loose weight it is not uncommon for your breasts to get smaller. Also your breasts change with aging. Pregnancy, hormones, and weight loss/gain can all affect your breast size.

Changes in Breast Appearance with Age

Thank you for your question.  I can tell you that you are definitely not alone in your experience with the physical changes you have described in your breasts over the past several years, and I see many women every day who are concerned about these changes.  

As you age, your breasts evolve from dense and fibrous to more fatty and soft in consistency.  You also begin to lose some of the structural support in the breast, and many women describe this as their breasts beginning to droop or "sag."  Unfortunately, weight gain or an increase in body fat doesn't do much to help this process because the fat does not necessarily go where we want or need it the most.  If you are looking to enhance the size of your chest, even just a little to bring you back to your previous 32B cup size, I would highly recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast augmentation procedures.  A breast augmentation is a quick and easy procedure that allows your surgeon to safely enhance a patients bust line, and with a thorough size and aesthetic goal driven discussion can afford a patient a very natural cosmetic result.    Best of luck!

Breast change with weight loss

Hi 8353anon, weight loss is a common reason for breasts to change in size. If you gain the weight back then you might see them grow back to their original size. If you are not planning on gaining the weight back then there are other ways to have your breasts enlarged to a size you are happy with.

Karl Schwarz, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

What would cause my breasts to shrink?

This is not uncommon. As you age your body is changing, your breasts no longer are as fibrous and dense (perky) as they were when you were a teenager.  You might consider breast implantation surgery to bring back that fullness that you lost.  This is one of the most common reasons patients do decide to undergo breast implantation surgery.  Good Luck!

Shrinking Breasts

Jumping from teen years to the age of 30 is expected to create changes in your body, especially your breasts.  It's unfortunate but one of the common reasons patients do decide to undergo breast augmentation surgery.  It may not be for you but probably is your best alternative.  Thanks for your question.

Jon A. Perlman, MD