What Would Cause my Breasts to Shrink?

As a teen I was a 32B, I was athletic back then with a very low % of body fat. I am now 30 and lost appx 30 lbs in the last year. I'm nearly back at my teenage weight and now an A cup. My body fat % today is quite a bit higher now, so this doesn't make any sense to me.

Breast changes with age

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately, what you are experiencing are the normal changes that occur in the breast with age.  When you are younger, your breast has more fibrous and dense tissue.  As you age, this becomes more fatty in consistency and you start to lose some of the structural support in the breast.  Also, where your body decides it will store fat also changes with age and may not necessarily go where we want it.  The same thing goes for facial aging, where we lose volume in our face as we get older despite being the same weight.

If you are desiring fuller breasts but not necessarily implants, then you may want to consider fat grafting where you borrow fat from one part of the body where you don't want it and add it the area where you want more volume.

Breasts Shrinking

As you age, you breasts naturally lose volume and perkiness, particularly in the upper pole. This effect can be further enhanced when breasts deflate after pregnancy or significant weight loss. While the weight loss draws your attention more sharply to the matter, the reality is that you breasts would likely appear similar today even if you had maintained the same weight throughout. In general, breast augmentation with a silicone or saline implant is solution to your problem. See a board certified plastic surgeon to help develop a plan that is unique for your situation and your desired results. 

Joseph Parks, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breasts

Breast size will only change with your weight after they are fully developed. This must be your natural breast volume. You may do well considering augmentation

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What Would Cause my Breasts to Shrink?

Thank you for your question. Breasts change with age and hormonal changes. When they are young breast tissue has lot more fibrous connective tissue with quality skin envelop. As they age they loose some of these supportive tissue.  As they gain weight they gain more fatty tissue and loose it when they loose weight. These are common changes with breast. If you wound want to enhance your breast, Breast augmentation implants is ideal and safe procedure.

BREAST SHRINKAGE

As we age out bodies including our breasts undergo changes.  The skin losses elasticity, muscle mass decreases and we gain fat.  Some of these changes are found in the breasts. There are other contributing factors such as pregnancy and breast feeding.  Unfortunately we cannot stop the hands of time.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breasts change naturally throughout your lifetime.

Although breast development is an individual characteristic of every woman, we can generally say that breasts will stop developing at the end of puberty. 

If you were in your late teens to early 20s when you were a 32B, your breasts were most likely fully developed. However, you should take into consideration that it is normal for your breasts to change throughout your lifetime - you will see them grow during pregnancy and breastfeeding, they might become bigger or smaller if you gain or lose weight and many women even notice changes in their breast size during different parts of their menstrual cycle. 

Regarding age, as women grow older they lose fibrous tissue which becomes replaced by fatty tissue giving the breasts a different size, shape and consistency, which could certainly explain the changes you’ve experienced. 

If you're not happy with the size or shape or your breasts and you feel like you want a change, you should consider consulting with a plastic surgeon to decide if and what cosmetic procedure may suit your needs.

The key is to ask yourself, "How much do I want this? For me, is it worth the actual cost? Also, is it worth the potential cost in the unfortunate case of a complication?" Those are subjective criteria. They are not facts, but, at the end of the day, it's what it comes down to. It's a very personal decision only you can make.

I hope that answers your question on breast development. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Breast changes

Unfortunately, your breasts will continue to change over your lifetime. When you are young your breast is composed of mostly thicker breast tissue and minimal fatty tissue. As you age the thicker breast tissue starts to be replaced by fatty tissue. In addition, the ligaments that hold the breast up and keep them firm start to stretch out and the breast starts to drop. Hormones during pregnancy and lactation will also change the breast shape and size. If you are not happy with your current breast shape or size a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is recommended. 

Tyler Angelos, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Changes in Breast Size:

Breasts can change size for a number of reasons. First, it's important to know that breasts are comprised of different components, principally breast tissue and fat. As aging occurs, the ratio of fat to breast tissue rises: breasts become less dense.  The body also shifts where it stores and loses weight. Your body may  preferentially lose weight from your breasts. Hopefully this addresses your concern. 

Whitney A. Burrell, MD

Shrinking Breasts

Thank you very much for your question. It is common for the breasts to shrink and deflate as you get older. This is caused by a combination of weight fluctuations, pregnancy, breast feeding, gravity, genetics, and the normal aging process. The volume loss and change in tissue elasticity can make the breasts smaller and less firm, even in women who maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. If you would like to further discuss options for restoring volume and shape to the chest, I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in the breast augmentation procedure.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast changes over a life time

What you are describing is quite common. Our bodies change continuously, more so in women than in men due to the continuous hormonal changes of ovulation , pregnancy and lactation. You did not mention if you have been pregnant or breast fed. Shape and size will continue to change over a life time. Most female breasts are predominantly fat, and if you lose weight the breasts will get smaller.

Talmage Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS