What Would Cause my Breasts to Shrink?

As a teen I was a 32B, I was athletic back then with a very low % of body fat. I am now 30 and lost appx 30 lbs in the last year. I'm nearly back at my teenage weight and now an A cup. My body fat % today is quite a bit higher now, so this doesn't make any sense to me.

Breast changes with age

Unfortunately, what you are experiencing are the normal changes that occur in the breast with age.  When you are younger, your breast has more fibrous and dense tissue.  As you age, this becomes more fatty in consistency and you start to lose some of the structural support in the breast.  Also, where your body decides it will store fat also changes with age and may not necessarily go where we want it.  The same thing goes for facial aging, where we lose volume in our face as we get older despite being the same weight.

If you are desiring fuller breasts but not necessarily implants, then you may want to consider fat grafting where you borrow fat from one part of the body where you don't want it and add it the area where you want more volume.

Breasts

Breast size will only change with your weight after they are fully developed. This must be your natural breast volume. You may do well considering augmentation

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breasts Shrinking

As you age, you breasts naturally lose volume and perkiness, particularly in the upper pole. This effect can be further enhanced when breasts deflate after pregnancy or significant weight loss. While the weight loss draws your attention more sharply to the matter, the reality is that you breasts would likely appear similar today even if you had maintained the same weight throughout. In general, breast augmentation with a silicone or saline implant is solution to your problem. See a board certified plastic surgeon to help develop a plan that is unique for your situation and your desired results. 

Joseph Parks, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast size, Changes in Breast Size, Hormones and Supplements, Breast Fat,

There are two different components to the breast: 1. Fat and Connective tissue 2. Ductal System

Fat will fluctuate with weight but the ductal system which is the milk producing/secreting component will change with hormones.  The latter will change based on your stage in life; puberty, teenage years, chill bearing years, pregnancy, breast feeding, and...menopause.  Supplements effect this part.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a a"board certified plastic surgeon" who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check surgeons experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.  There are many surgeons including myself who do virtual consultations as well.

Verify that your surgeon is Board Certified by "The American Board of Plastic Surgery".  

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Changes in breast size with time

Breast size and shape can often change over the course of time.  Breast composition gradually shifts with age from more glandular tissue to more fatty tissue.  Weight gain and then loss, hormonal changes with age, pregnancy, and breastfeeding can all affect breast size.  Your situation is, in many ways, not unexpected.

Do you know why breasts change size? Find out what might cause your breasts to grow or shrink.

Breasts may change size and shape for a variety of reasons throughout an average woman’s life. Some of these changes are hormonal (such as those experienced during pregnancy or menopause) while others are tied to lifestyle (weight gained or lost due to a changing diet or fitness regime) and even stress. Another cause we must consider is aging.

Volume loss is a factor for a lot of women, not just in the face but also the breasts. Youthful breasts include tissue that is more dense than older breasts, whose tissue may become more “fatty” and lose structure due to increasing laxity. In other words, as a woman ages, her breats may not be as perky or full, even when all other factors (weight, nutrition, exercise) remain constant.

If a shrinking cup size is an issue for you, the best way to combat it is to talk with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who can recommend the appropriate course of action for your unique situation

Colin White, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Aging

Your breast size will change (typically decrease) as you age or lose weight.  There is an increase in the amount of fat cells and a decrease in breast tissue as you age.

Why are my breasts shrinking?

Thank you for your question.  A woman's breasts are not fully developed until they have been pregnant and breast-fed.  When you are younger, your breasts are more dense and have less fatty tissue.  As you get older, this relationship changes.  The breast become increasingly fatty and the size fluctuates more with your normal body weight.  Any type of weight gain will stretch the skin and subsequent weight-loss will leave you with a smaller cup size.  It sounds like what you have experienced are the normal physiologic changes associated with age, weight gain, and weight loss.  Breast augmentation can help restore the volume you have lost. Hope this helps. Good luck! 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Shrinking breasts

You are observing typical effects of aging on the appearance of your breasts. As you are developing, the breasts form with more fibrous and dense tissue. The breasts will become more fatty in consistency as you age and become less supported.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast size change with age

The breast is composed of gland and fatty tissue.  Weight changes would influence the fatty component and age/hormonal change would influence the glandular component.  Compared to your teenage years the natural shift in fatty tissue vs glandular tissue percentage is understandable and the change after 30lb weight loss expected.  I think at this point, you could consider augmentation mammoplasty if size increase is desired.

Michael A. Marschall, MD