Can I Be Immersed in Water 2 Weeks After Breast Augmentation?

Can i go into a natural Spring 2 weeks after Breast Augmentation surgery without getting an infection? It wouldn't be salt water, it would be natural fresh water, and what if i was to be tipped over in my tube and go in completely. Should i be worried?

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to activity resumption after breast  augmentation surgery. From the healing standpoint most patients are able to swim again starting 3 to 6 weeks  after surgery. Best wishes.

Swimming after breast augmentation

I would disagree with the previous answers. Care of incisions isn't just for breast augmentation, it's true for other incisions as well. In breast augmentation, infections via the incision are potentially more serious because the implant might have to be removed if infection is established around the implant.

Incisions can be protected in various ways and generally a bit of water splashing around such as a shower doesn't stress the incision. The problem is soaking which weakens the seal of the incision and potentially allows bacteria in whether from the water or the body. Taking a submerged bath, hot tubbing, and swimming all result in soaking and should be avoided for two weeks after surgery.

It takes two weeks of uneventful healing for an incision to build up about 80% of its strength so I use two weeks of protection before allowing soaking. Even after this you don't want to do anything that would irritate the incisional scar as this will potentially effect the scar result adversely. Drying, cracking, friction, and ultraviolet exposure are the most common irritants to avoid.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Swimming

I tell my patients no swimming or tubing for least 4 weeks. Spring water is not sterile and contains a great deal of bacteria. I do suggest that your plastic surgeon gives you the final OK for swimming since he/she has examined you and knows how well you are healing.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Immersed in water after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question.  This would depend on your doctor's opinion.  Usually doctors give patients the go signal to go swimming or taking a dip after 2-3 weeks from surgery in order to prevent infection.  Best to gain approval from your surgeon.  best of luck.  Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Best to wait 6 weeks....

Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following cosmetic surgery.Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can result in an increased potential for complications.Swimming and spending time in a hot spring are both activities that could potentially have negative consequences if resumed too soon.
Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed.In reality, small absorbable interrupted sutures may break through the skin and become exposed.In this situation, infection could occur in a Jacuzzi, hot spring, pool, pond or ocean.Each of these environments may have unique and, in many cases, antibiotic resistant bacteria that could lead to a significant infection.
In addition, plastic surgeons generally don’t recommend resumption of strenuous activities for at least six weeks following breast augmentation surgery.Swimming can create significant strain on the core muscles and should therefore, be avoided in the immediate post-operative period.
It is important to remember that every patient’s procedure and post-operative course is unique.For these reasons, make sure you consult your plastic surgeon before getting into the water.

Water immersion 2 weeks post op.

Running soap and water over an incision is usually a good thing.  Soaking or submerging an incision before it is epithelized is usually not.  Please ask your plastic surgeon, as many have differing opinions about this. Also, he/she may have an opinion based on your individual case.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Ask Your Surgeon, But It Should Be Okay Depending On Your Recovery

At two weeks after your surgery, you should be okay to go underwater. However, this is only if your surgeon says it's okay and your recovery has been going well. Please ask your surgeon for their advice. 

Regardles, however, please make sure you cover up your incisions from sun exposure, as not doing so can make your scars much more noticeable.

Can I be immersed in water 2 weeks after breast augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Immersion of incisions in water

As you can see there are many different opinions on when you can swim and get an incision wet.  In my opinion the incision needs to be completely closed with no opened areas. As  you mentioned the concern would be infection.  I recommend thoroughly washing the incision after going swimming.  The risk of developing an infection in this instance is low.  Now go have a good time.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Water immersion after breast augmentation: bath, pool, lake, or ocean

Every practitioner will vary in their recommendation regarding swimming or immersion in a pool/lake/ocean. This will depend on the status of the wound. Furthermore, it will depend on the type of activity; resting on a tube is permissible but tubing would not.