Shortness of Breath After Breast Augmentation

I have had implants for a month, and a week after i began having shortness of breath. I can't take a deep breath and feel like my chest is burning. Went to doctor and lungs sound normal, had a chest x-ray, also normal. I am concerned. Never had problem before - could it be implants?

Sensations of shortness of breath after breast implant augmentation surgery

Your implants are likely causing some pressure on your chest wall as well as distending and stretching the intercostal nerves which all may contribute to the symptoms you are describing. Over time, 2-3 months, the pressure and tightness will generally improve.

Shortness of breath after implants

While being winded( tired from exercise or daily routine) during the post-op period is usually normal, shortness of breath is not.  I always worry about a pulmonary embolus and that is definitely in the working diagnosis. You should definitely discuss this with your doctor.

Restricted Breathing with Large Breast Implants

In a VERY small number of women we occasionally hear of women who have a harder time taking a very deep breath after placement of large implant. The size of the implants and gravity gently encumbers the full outward expansion of the chest in a full inspiration. In the vast majority of cases, this passes away as the skin softens and gives.

Shortness of breath after Surgery

Although this could be a subjective problem from the size of the implants, the one thing you must rule out is a blood clot from the legs to the lung. Continued shortness of breath could indicate multiple clots. This also tends to come on a week or so after the surgery, as yours did. Frequently these do not show up on a regular X-ray until the lung tissue has died, and they do not cause a disturbance in the breath sounds. I would advise returning to your doctor immediately and having a specific tests looking for a clot (pulmonary embolus).

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon