Breast Reduction from (Large) C to A for an Athlete? (photo)

I am competitive athlete in many sports and my breasts are a real hindrence. They're a large C, nearly a D and they often get in the way. I discovered sports bras too late so after years of high impact, they're already very saggy (I'm 21) and hang outwards, sort of. I don't have much of a waist, a short torso and have fairly narrow hips so it's quite disproportionate to my body. Would it be possible to have them reduced to an A cup? I feel like I wouldn't have to worry about them nearly as much.

Reduction to A-cup?

It is definitely possible to reduce your breasts to an A-cup.  You should meet with the best plastic surgeon you can find to discuss what would be best for you.  Good luck.

Reduction to A-cup?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast Reduction to A-Cup for Athlete

Judging by your photos, you look like a good candidate for a breast reduction procedure.  When you go for your in-person consultation, your doctor can help you decide ultimately what reduced cup size makes sense for you in terms of your anatomy and your wishes.  Always visit a board-certified plastic surgeon for your procedure consultation, and you may want to look into the short-scar breast reduction technique, which is also called the lollipop incision.  This not only reduces scarring when compared to other breast reduction methods but it also usually reduces recovery time, which could be very beneficial for you as a professional athlete.  You could be back up and running in a shorter amount of time with the lollipop technique.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, and good luck!

Breast Reduction to A-Cup for Athlete

Breast reduction in a 21 year old athlete

A significant breast reduction would certainly be possible.  There would be a soft limit to how small you should go based on breast shape and a hard limit based on blood supply to the remaining tissue.  Although there is no standardization in bra sizes I would suggest something along the lines of a B cup would be a more likely outcome.  The "lift" associated with the reduction would help significantly with your symptoms with exercise.

Good luck in your journey,

York Yates MD - Utah.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Good luck in your journey,

York Yates MD - Utah.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Athlete

Although there are limitations on how small it is possible to make a breast and still retain adequate shape and sensation, it should be possible to significantly reduce the size of your breasts. You should be aware that you would be unlikely to be able to breast feed after breast reduction surgery. You should seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon in your area certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your individual case and goals. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Athlete

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction from C to A Cup?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, it is possible to reduce your breasts quite significantly safely.

The first step may be to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss breast reduction surgery, the pros/cons of the procedure, and the potential risk/complications associated with the procedure.  During this consultation it will be important to communicate your goals clearly; I prefer the use of goal pictures as opposed to discussing specific cup sizes (since cup sizes vary from one bra manufacturer to another).

One of the many things to consider as you are considering breast reduction surgery  is the presence of scars that will result from the surgery. Abnormal scarring is a risk.  Further surgery may be necessary.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you do your research.

Breast Reduction from C to A Cup?