How Long Does It Take for Swelling to Be Gone After Breast Reduction?

I had previously told my ps that I was currently in a 38DD and wanted reduced by two cups sizes to a small to normal 38C. I didn't want to be heavy anymore. I had my breast reduction done a week ago. I went to my ps on Monday and had the drains removed. I at that time asked him what size he made me. He stated that he made me a very large C and in Victoria Secret's I would be a D. This is not what I wanted. After paying for entire procedure in cash I don't want to have to pay to have it redone

Doctor Answers 5

Evaluating Results of Breast Reduction Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. Frankly, I think it is much too early to worry about the end results of surgery, given that you are only one week out of the procedure. It will take several months (and even up to one year) to see the final results of the procedure.

 I would suggest that you also not worry about the final cup size achieved. As you know, cup sizes will vary from one bra manufacturer to another. Therefore, it does not make sense to base your goals or level of satisfaction with the results of surgery on an arbitrary “letter”.

Hopefully, you'll be very pleased with the end results of the breast reduction surgery when you consider improvement of any symptoms you may have had preoperatively. Hopefully also you will be pleased with the improved “proportions” of your upper and lower body.

In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes.

Swelling after a breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I usually tell my patients that it usually takes unto two months for the swelling after a breast reduction to resolve.  During this time, you will also notice that your breasts will "settle" and assume a more natural appearing shape, and that the breast tissue will soften as the inflammation starts to resolve.  I would definitely advise patience -- you really won't know what size your are until after the swelling resolves.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

80 % of swelling will be gone after 6 weeks from breast reduction. The remaining 20% will resolve in 6 months.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Gross swelling from the procedure will take about 6 weeks to resolve.  The remaining reduces at much slower rate.  If the scars still have color, they are biologically active and serve as a barometer for swelling in the entire operative site.

How Long Does It Take for Swelling to Be Gone After Breast Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Swelling after a breast reduction and final results will take 6-12 months. Over the next few weeks your breast will change.  Cup size will vary with each manufacturer and the individual measuring the breasts.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and follow his recommendations. Best Wishes.

Swelling After A Breast Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is still too early to see your final breast size. Most of the swelling will be gone within 6 weeks. It can take up to a year to see the final results.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.