Will I be able to use a sun bed after Breast Lift with Implants?

I had a breast implants and lift a wk ago and I have skin problems that I use a sunbed once a wk for 12 mins sometimes 15 will I be able to use a sunbed? I would keep my scarring covered and my support bra on but would using a sunbed or sunbathing have an affect on the implants so soon after having this done

The use of sun bed after breast augmentation with implants

This early after your combination breast augmentation and lift The use of sun bed or tanning booth could make your scars worse.  Please consult your plastic surgeon for advice.  If you have a medical indication for use of the sun bed then precautions can be taken to protect your breasts from exposure to the ultraviolet radiation.

Unless it is medically indicated for some reason you should avoid sun bathing and sun beds altogether due to the risk of skin cancers!!  Additionally, sun is very bad for scars and can contribute to poor appearing scars. I always tell my patients to avoid any direct sun exposure on scars for a year and to use a daily SPF 50 sunscreen to protect them.

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tanning post op

Keep the sun away from scars is your best bet. Scars behave differently in different people and can become too dark permanently (hyperpigmentation or dyschromia) if exposed to the sun. Better to spray tan if you want to hide it. Definitely use a strong SPF (>30) sunscreen on it even though it is hidden by your bathing suit as some sun goes through the fabric.

#tanningpostop
#scarmanagement

Will I be able to use a sun bed after breast lift with implants?

Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does.  Sunblock is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 7 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

There is no risk to the implants however the skin at your incision site will be prone to burning. The use of the sun bed may make your scarring worse.  Contact your surgeon’s office for your specific post-operative instructions and follow them carefully.  You do not want to jeopardize the results of your surgery.

Will sunbathing on a sunbed affect my implants?

Sunbathing will have no on your implants nor will using a sunbed. The main concern is that they will affect your scar. Scars are very sensitive to ultraviolet light. I would agree with Dr.Jack

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon