Bite is off in the back and front teeth stick out. What braces/appliances could fix my teeth and how long would it take? (photo)

I'm attaching some pictures of my teeth (which I've always been a bit self conscious about) and am trying to decide if I should look into orthodontic treatment. As you'll see in the pictures, even though my teeth aren't that crooked, my bite is off in the back and my front teeth stick out. I'm wondering what my problems/diagnoses are and what kind of braces/appliances I would need to fix them and how long it would take. Any answers would be extremely helpful.

Doctor Answers 4


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You do have a Class 2 division 2 malocclusion with the upper teeth forward, the upper incisors lingually inclined and a deep overbite.  I would not recommend Invisalign as it is not as good at accomplishing the torquing movements needed to adjust the inward slant of your upper front teeth.  I would recommend that you see an ADA recognized orthodontic specialist and discuss your needs particularly regarding the torquing movements needed for the front teeth and correcting the Class 2 posterior bite relationships.  They should have a good explanation of exactly how these things will be done.  Ask to see photographs of similar cases that he has personally treated to see if you like the results.  If not available or you don't feel you totally understand it try another orthodontist until you do.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Braces for Class II Malocclusions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You would benefit greatly from orthodontic treatment. You have a class II Div II malocclusion. You also have a narrow upper arch with a probable posterior cross-bite (can't tell with the photos provided). Your dentist/orthodontist should evaluate you for TMJ Dysfunction before starting any orthodontic treatment as a high percentage of patients with your type of malocclusion also suffer from TMJ Dysfunction. The major problem with your type of malocclusion is the retruded position of your lower jaw. To properly fix your malocclusion you will need to have your lower jaw brought forward. This can only be accomplished with surgery or a functional orthopedic appliance. In order to bring your lower jaw forward, you will first need to develop your upper jaw. Upper jaw development can be accomplished in multiple ways. Once your upper jaw has been fully developed the lower jaw can be brought forward and finally the teeth can be straightened and posterior teeth erupted more to improve your deep overbite. 

This comprehensive treatment can NOT be accomplished with Invisalign and absolutely should not if you are experiencing any symptoms of TMJ Dysfunction. Under NO circumstances should you ever agree to extract any bicuspid teeth to accomplish your treatment. The EASY way to do your treatment would be to extract upper first bicuspids but you will not be happy with the treatment and your TMJ will definitely not be happy.

Good luck, hope this helps.

What about Invisalign ...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi elliegirl .... I agree with the previous three docs ... You have retroclined front teeth which are causing you problems with back teeth.  I think you can fix this with either braces or Invisalign.  I think you can get a good result with either one.  Good luck!

Robert Passamano, DDS
Irvine Orthodontist

You might also like...

Candidate for orthodontic treatment!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


You are definitely a candidate for orthodontic treatment. You have what is called a Class II Malocclusion, and you also have a deep bite. This can be corrected with braces or Invisalign! You will love the outcome.

Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling, DMD
New York Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.