Will Botox work on lines that are already formed?

I'm 38 years old have lines when my forehead is relaxed..I've been reading botox will not get rid of these? Should I even bother getting it? They are not super deep as I cant feel them..but I can most def see them ;/ Thank you!

Will Botox work on lines that are already formed

In most cases, yes.  It acts to relax the muscle...eventually the line in the skin will smooth out.  There are times when the lines disappear and there are times when it is softer.

Botox is a wonderful product to help soften and eventually completely eliminate visible wrinkles on your forehead even if they are visible at rest.  Simply, you may have to be patient and have several treatments before you will see them completely smoothed out.  The more consistent you can be with the treatments, the more benefits you will get out of it.  However, even doing Botox injections sporadically, is better then not doing them at all.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Botox for forehead lines

In our experience, you will need to have Botox a few times over the course of one to two years before you see those lines truly start to disappear.  At worse, you are preventing the lines from becoming deeper. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Botox and lines on forehead

Botox is a fabulous injection for reducing lines on the forehead area.  However, if the lines are deep, it may have injections for a year, every four months to keep the area "frozen" to minimize these lines.  I compare it to a page that has a crease in it and needs to be "pressed out".  Over time the wrinkles will smooth out and you will have a great result.

Will #Botox work on lines that are already formed?

In some cases, yes. This is actually a great question that comes up every day in my practice. Those imprinted lines develop over many years of repetitive muscle contraction. Botox works by reducing muscle contraction. Consistent use of Botox over 6-12 months will often lead to improvement of those lines that are folded into the skin. In some cases, a small amount of filler will also be required to lift and plump those imprinted lines. However, in most cases, it is worth trying Botox first prior to considering fillers. Seek an experienced physician injector for further discussion.

Better get on it

Botox and its competitors will improve active wrinkles and can decrease wrinkles at rest, especially over repeated use.  Some wrinkles may persist, so fillers are used to pop the wrinkles out, like popping out dents in a car.  If they bother you now, they aren't going to improve on their own, so I would go for it!  There are also devices that are being studied that can give more lasting results for glabellar lines, but they are not mainstream yet.

Adrian M. Guevara, MD
El Paso Dermatologist

Botox

Botox is a medication that temporarily relaxes the facial muscles that create expression lines, mostly in the upper face such as the crowsfeet, in-between the eyes and in the forehead. With constant contraction of the facial muscles, they can create a permanent line also known as a static line. Botox will not be able to eliminate these types of lines but it can soften them. Botox is an excellent option to prevent static lines. Once a static line is formed a combination of botox and a filler can correct the static lines.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Botox results on lines

Hi cdubya:
Botox only works on muscles and glands. Using it on active muscles which creates a fold will reduce the inevitable line from forming. But once the line has developed from creasing the dermis and epidermis, Botox is used to keep it from getting worse. 

It is at this point that modalities which reverse aging and collagen loss in the skin is required to improve or rejuvenate the line. 

I have found the best individual treatments include retinoids from the outside and Sculptra from under the skin. 

It is best for you to consult with a Board Certified, well experienced Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist who has a wide array of options to determine which is best for you. 

Consider:
  1. microdermabrasion, dermabrasion and laser-abrasion
  2. fillers
  3. IPL (intense pulsed light for reduction of red and brown spots and skin tightening),
  4. Fractional Erbium Laser (for acne scars, fine lines, large pores and skin tightening). 
  5. ClearLift (this revolutionary “no-pain” laser for texture, cellulite, skin firming and thickening using dual laser wavelengths)
  6. long term management with tretinoin or retinols
  7. Sculptra
I hope this was helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox lines

Thank you for your question. The fine lines on your forehead is caused by strong muscle action (glabellar muscles) underneath. When the muscle is relaxed using neuromodulators like Botox, the fine lines will get softer.  As you continue the treatment and have a regular regimen, these lines will continue to go away and will help prevent them from getting worse. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Botox and preexisting lines

Botox can help to reduce or eliminate the appearance of preexisting lines with repeated treatments in many patients.  You should visit with an experienced and appropriately credentialed injector, who can help to more answer your question more precisely.  If you go forward with the botox application and there are still deep lines, you may also consider using a filling agent to further help with your concern.  Best regards.

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon