Nose Secret: DIY rhinoplasty, safe or unsafe? (Photo)

Hi there doctors, so there's a product I recently bumped into during my research, it's called nose secret. Basically, the way it works is that you stick splints into the nostrils for a more contoured nose. Do you think this product can damage a nose or is it a great way to get used to having a new nose. I'm including pics just for reference so you can see what a mess of a nose I'm dealing with. I wouldn't mind a temporary solution as I save for surgery and search for the perfect surgeon fit.

DIY rhinoplasty secret.

This will not give you a stable long term result, which a regular rhinoplasty will.  The splints likely will irritate the lining of your nose.  Claims made on the internet frequently predict amazing results and invariably fail to deliver on the promise.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consult about how to create a natural balanced appearance for you.

DIY rhinoplasty

the material placed in there to push tissues up and out to alter your nasal appearance will need to rest not only on the area where you are pushing but also on a firm area where there is adequate support. I think for a brief period of time, a few hours, it would likely be OK, but to use it long term every day could cause ulcers and bleeding inside of your nose and potentially thinning of the skin of the tip and that could allow the splint to break through the skin. It is not something I would suggest for you.

Julio Garcia, MD

"Nose Secret" as rhinoplasty alternative

The Internet continues to surprise as an unlimited source for "secret" home remedies. Our patients demonstrated rubber bands glued into the back of the their hair as a facelift alternative until the eczema was unbearable. We also cared for patients who inflicted chemical burns to their face using over-the-internet purchased skin peeling agents.

Having said that that, I think it is not wise to use foreign bodies inside of your nose without close supervision or guidance from a nasal specialist. Nonsurgical alternatives to a rhinoplasty may exist in your situation, but that is would not represent inside nasal splints.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non Caucasian rhinoplasty

I don't think the internal splints have any medical value. I think you should seek a surgeon who has a lot of experience in non-Caucasian rhinoplasty. This is a completely different operation from rhinoplasty in Caucasians. I've attached some photos from my Pinterest page for your review. I am in Boston.

Best regards, Dr. DelVecchio

Splints in the nostrils for change nasal appearance sounds fishy to me.

I can't see how this would make much of the difference and I also can't imagine how you could tolerate the presence of these in the nose.

Nose Secret: DIY rhinoplasty, safe or unsafe?

Greetings.

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

No shortcuts to excellence

Don't get you hopes up for products that sound too good to be true.  The only way to achieve what you probably want is surgery.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon