How long does the result from a lower blethroplasty last?

How long for lower lid blepharoplasty results

I would say forever.  Lower lid surgery predominantly addresses bags caused by prolapsed fat.  Once fat is removed it can never grow back.  The key is to debulk the right amount at the time of surgery to achieve the desired contour of the lid.  Occasionally the temporal fat pad, which is the bulge on the out portion of the lid, can recur due to prolapsing of more posterior positioned orbital fat.  I have also seen patients end up with excess skin many years after a transconjunctival blepharoplasty so I therefore do most lower lids through a skin incision to avoid this. In general if you are bothered by puffy lower lid bags you will love your surgical results for many years to come.  Best of luck.

Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

How long does the results from a lower blepharoplasty last?

In our practice, the results from a lower blepharoplasty usually last 10 to 15 years. Choose your surgeon very wisely for natural and consistent results.

Lower blepharoplasty results over time?

A well done lower  blepharoplasty can achieve dramatic results. However, there are certain things surgery cannot achieve. For example, the deep hollow groove under the eyelid, called a tear trough, may benefit form fillers even after a perfectly performed blepharoplasty. More likely, the tear trough may become apparent several years after the blepharoplasty. 

Fat removed during a blepharoplasty cannot regrow. However the skin can continue to age at different rates for different people. Maintenance of the skin  with occasional  light chemical peels and skin care usually reduce  the need  for additional surgery in the future. 

To summarize, a lower blepharoplasty  is a great procedure for those patients who are past the point of  significant improvement with fillers alone.  More surgery is unlikely to be needed as long as  you perform  maintenance treatments in the office as time progresses.

Best regards, Prashant Soni M.D.

Prashant Soni, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Result of lower blepharoplasty

I can not recall the last time that I had to redo someone's eyes.  Most patients have a nice result.  Sometimes I suppose, patients may have additional lax skin when they age that could benefit from a conservative excision.

Eye surgery results

This is a hard question to answer. To generalize I would say 10-15 years. 

Things that affect the longevity: sun exposure, weight gain and loss, genetics and associated procedures. Also it depends on what exactly was done. Are we talking fat repositioning? Was skin removed? Which is determined by what was the issue preoperatively. 

Some times laser is combined or fat transfer and these can increase the longevity of the surgical results. 

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid blepharoplasty - long term results

Many factors determine the duration of the effect of blepharoplasty. Tissue that is removed will not regenerate - that's good news - unless too much tissue is removed! There are general health issues that may intervene - hypertension/ ACE inhibitors, allergies, thyroid dysfunction, inflammatory diseases, ravages of smoking, etc. Mechanical trauma destroys the delicate peri-ocular tissues - eye-rubbing, applying and removing makeup (rubbing to get the makeup off), constant wiping with fingers or tissues. After blepharoplasty, one should avoid hand to eye contact as much as possible and use gentle makeup removal. Skin care is important as well. Best wishes with your decision.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Length of time results from a lower bleph last

A well performed lower blepharoplasty can last a lifetime. The surgery is used to address excess skin and fat in the lower lids. If a person were to gain weight afterwards, it does not accumulate in this area. The results would help give a more restful and youthful appearance and would be carried throughout the remainder of one's life. There may be further aging that can affect this area such as hollowing due to bone remodeling and also descent of the cheek, but with the use of fillers and other surgical procedures such as a mid-face lift, this could be improved.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of results for lower eyelid surgery

The majority of changes that you will see to your lower eyelids from well performed surgery will last many years.  Unfortunately, as we age, the changes that take place on other areas of your face will also take place to your lower eyelids as well.  You will not likely see the bags that you may have wanted addressed when you were younger, but your lower eyelid skin will continue to become more lax, and the ligaments that maintain the tension and position of your lower eyelid will stretch to some degree which may need to be addressed.  It would be several years before that would be an issue.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon