Can I use surgery to make my eyes slightly more prominent? I have sunken eyeballs but no heavy brows.

This kind of asymmetry bothers me a lot. I feel that my eyeballs sit far too deep in my orbital rims. I was looking into augmenting my orbital rims but that would make the "sunken look" worse. Can an orbital floor implant be placed BEHIND my eyeballs (to get rid of the sunken appearance) along with some implants around the orbital rim(to eliminate dark circles) ? I think these are the only options I have, considering that my whole orbital volume is small. Thank you for your time

How to fix sunken Eyes?

Hi Eyephone,

Thank you for your question. It is really hard to say how to fix your problem without good photos.  I recommend being evaluated by a board-certified eye specialist. They will be able to give you the best advice has to what is safe, effective, and will likely give you the results that you're looking for. I would personally not placing implants behind your eye because it may lead to blindness. Good luck.

Carlos Mata M.D., MBA, FACS

Board-certified plastic surgeon.

#sunkeneyes

Can I use surgery to make my eyes slightly more prominent? I have sunken eyeballs.

Complicated problem requiring proper personal evaluation. In general, it is not a good idea to place orbital implant to push the eyeballs forward if there is no orbital pathology such blow out fracture or silent sinus syndrome, but exceptions do exist. See an oculoplastic surgeon in person for evaluation. See link and video below too.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sunken eyes

your question is very insightful

There are a few ways to camouflage sunken eyes but you are correct they have limitations. Our group specializes in surgery behind they eyes and moving the eyes for various reasons. While we do orbital surgery hundreds of times a year it is critical to get a good consultation and know the risks including more assymetry, infection and double vision. This is a delicate surgery so get opinions from Oculoplastic surgeons. This is not a common surgery for cosmetic reasons but variations are done to move the eyes, back forward up or down with same concept.

Raymond S. Douglas, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon