Restylane injected in eye bags and now Doctor claims I developed Xanthelasma. What can I do? (Photo)

I had restylane injected to fix my eye bags and now there is this weird bump where he injected a year later. He claims that I conincidentally developed Xanthelasma in the spot where he injected me. I don't think this is true. Can someone help?

Xanthelasma

Xanthelasma is a condition that can not be caused by dermal fillers.  Please post photos to better assist you.  Best, Dr. Green

Restylane does not cause xanthelasma.

It is difficult to tell if you have xanthelasma or it is your Restylane filler.  Fillers do not cause xanthelasma. Please consult a cosmetic dermatologist who can diagnose these lesions and suggest treatment for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Can Xanthalasma be caused by Restylane injections

Thank you for sharing your question. Xanthalasma cannot be caused by the injection of dermal fillers. The patches can easily be removed by an Oculoplastic Surgeon. You might develop more areas of xanthalasma in the future, because of the nature of the problem. Fortunately, xanthalasma is not a sign of systemic illness. I hope this helps.
Good luck,

Restylane injected in eye bags and now Doctor claims I developed Xanthelasma. What can I do?

Hello Tranc2400,

Xanthelasma represents cholesterol deposits in the skin that create a yellowish hue.  There is usually a strong genetic component, so if you have a family member with it, then it is that much likely that is what you have.  I would agree that it is coincidental, but that is a known area for xanthelasma to develop. Since it sounds like you aren't pleased with your injector, I'd recommend you consult with another physician to evaluate the area to determine if this is xanthelasma.  If it isn't, and it turns out this is related to your Restylane, then you can receive an injection of hyaluronidase (although it would be very rare for Restylane to last beyond a year in this location).  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon