I clean houses for a living and I want breast implants; could I go back to work in 4 days?

No, Please do not believe the hype that you read on the Internet which says that you can return to work a day or so after breast augmentation surgery. You will have discomfort for up to 3 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation and I recommend that you wait 10 days to 2 weeks before significant lifting and physical activity involving your upper arms.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would advise against that.  For my patients, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

I clean houses for a living and I want breast implants; could I go back to work in 4 days

I would not recommend going back to that kind of activity for likely 2 weeks to make sure there is no tearing open of the incision or causing some bleeding

Julio Garcia, MD

House Cleaning After Breast Implants

We suggest a 4 week 10 lb lifting restriction after breast augmentation so as not to impact implant position and capsule formation.  House cleaning would likely involve lifting beyond this threshold.  These are just recommendations.  Not following them does not guarantee a poor outcome any more than following them to the letter guarantees a good outcome.  You live close by please come in to discuss if you would like.  (205)980-1744

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Return to work following breast augmentation

No, you should not return to house cleaning 4 days after having a breast augmentation. House cleaning is strenuous work, and you should not do any lifting or physical activity involving your upper arms and chest for a couple of weeks following your surgery. Please consult with your plastic surgeon for specific instructions.

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

No

Surgery requires healing and that takes more than four days.  Your chosen plastic surgeon will guide you about specifics of your recovery. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Due to the intensity of activity required of most house cleaning I think you need to allow yourself at least 2-3 weeks away from work to ensure an uncomplicated recovery.  Early return to cleaning will cause an increase in soft tissue swelling, and pain, to your chest, and may stress your incision sites.  Hope this helps.

Recovery time after breast augmentation

I think all doctors will say the same thing - it would be best to wait until your discomfort is gone so you can continue to perform your quality cleaning. Taking post operative pain medication and working is not a good idea. You are also making a financial investment. By "doing a good job" cleaning, you make open up blood vessels and create an unwanted hematoma. Why take the risk?

Best wishes

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

Can I go back to work at 4 days?

Honestly, no.  At 4 days after surgery, that's when you will be at your most swollen and tender.  Particularly with your physical job, I would recommend at least 7-10 days off, and no heavy lifting or upper body straining for 3 weeks.

Going back to work

Obviously, you can do whatever you want to do, however, in my practice, I tell patients not to resume strenuous activity for three weeks following surgery.