Losing Grafts along with scab/crisp 6-7 days post Hair Transplant (FUE). What corrective actions should I take now? (Photo)

On 6th days post my FUE surgery, I was massaging my dry scalp in circular motion slowly with my finger tips. I found out that the crisp & probably scabs were falling out of scalp. I continued this for the next day too in order to get rid of scab ASAP. On next day I noticed that HAIR were embedded in those scabs/crust. I have read that 10 days post surgery grafts are fixed in scalp and shampooing was allowed to remove scabs for first 2 weeks. Have i done wrong? Tell me what to expect & do now :(

What to expect a few days after hair transplantation in Seattle #plasticsurgery

We recommend 'no touch' cleaning of the recipient scalp with a spray bottle for the first few days after surgery. At that point, the transplanted follicles are adherent to the adjacent scalp tissue and will not fall out. The hair shafts themselves may fall out, but this is not important to the ultimate survival and growth of new hairs.

Yes, Its normal to lose some hairs in first few days.

Yes, Its normal to lose some hairs in first few days. If fact in the the 3-4 weeks after your surgery, the majority will be lost. But don't worry, they grow back starting from around 10-12 weeks.

Anne Kremer, MD
London Otolaryngologist

Shedding grafts at 1 wek

This is normal. Just continue to take care of your recipient area as your doctor recommended. Everything will be fine.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair fall post hair transplant surgery is normal

It is normal to lose the hair transplanted from the backside within 2-3 weeks of the surgery. However it seems that you applied more force while massaging which could have caused the scab along with the hair to fall off. After 10 days, you can apply aloevera gel for 30-45 mins which will soften the scabs and you can gently remove them with shampoo. Till that day you can just keep the area moist by spraying Normal Saline solution to decrease the scab formation. There is nothing to worry for the hair which have been lost with the scabs as the roots are already within the scalp so they should grow back.

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing technique early after hair transplant

Aggressive massaging 6 days postop may be dangerous. The first 5 washes after a HT should be very gentle. The next 5 washes should be intermediate, however since it is not easy to explain how the intermediate style is, we prefer to instruct our patients live. We advice not to hurry in cleaning the scabs and let them fall naturally between 7-14 days. If they still remain at 14 days than we advice active rubbing to get rid of the scabs in 1-2 washes.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Losing hair post FUE - what is normal?

Be sure to check with your surgeon for specific advice and direction. In general, it is normal to lose hair, crust and scabs at day 6-7 following FUE ( and sometimes even earlier!)

The cells that produce a brand new hair are likely still deep under the scalp. You need to get rid of these little hair to make room for the new hairs to come up in 2-3 months 

Hairs fall out earlier with FUE than strip. What you have described sounds pretty much spot on - but give your surgeon's office a call if you are concerned. 

Handle the treated area with care

Massing is not required to help with crust removal. Gentle washing of the scalp  will do. While you may not not have done much harm, massaging is not recommended.Good luck!

Renita (Lourdhurajan) Rajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Scabs and itching after hair transplant

It is very common for scabs to fall at seven days.  The hair has fallen out but it has left behind the tissue that will grow a new hair in 4-8 months.  

It is very common for the scalp to itch and for patients to sometimes inadvertently pick at their scalp. If you pick at your scabs this will damage your grafts. You have to retrain your self to either not itch at all or use cool compresses for the itching.

How to clean the scabs in the recipient area after hair transplant

Your doctor should provide a post op care regiment for cleaning the scabs after hair transplant. You should be treating the grafted area very gently and do not pull on the scabs.  They should start to come off after 7-10 days.  If you have not pulled the grafts out, then it may be just the hair shafts that fall off with the scabs. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Conflicting answers

You really can't expect personal medical recommendations on any website.  The only real medical advice is that you need to see a doctor for this.  You will end up with conflicting information.

You also need to follow your doctor's exact post-operative care instructions.

If they are dead grafts, there is not much you can do at this point.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon