If I were to have FUE and use my chest hair as the donor site, what would be the damage to donor site? (e.g. scarring)

Scarring on chest doner site

Chest Hair FUE

Sometimes there can be small white dots after FUE performed on the chest.  It varies per patient and can be more noticeable in patients with darker colored skin. It also depends on the size punch and depth of punch used by the surgeon.  Obviously the bigger the punch and the deeper the extraction, the more likelihood of scarring.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

White dots

Every patient heals differently.  If you shave your chest, you will see and may feel hundreds of small white dot scars.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Chest donor hair

Fortunately, this does not scar much so as a source for hair grafts from a scarring perspective, it is a good option; however, body hair does not grow beyond 6 months and then it falls out and goee into a rest phase for 4-6 more months when you don't see any hair at all. That is not like scalp hair which has a 3 year growth cycle and a 3-6 month rest cycle. Think FUE of scalp hair not body hair, 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Donor Hair from same location

Ideally we like to use hair from the same part of the body. It is very unlikely that your chest hair would be used as donor hair. We like to take hair from the back of the head where it continually grows and replace them on parts of the head that is receding.  Using hair from other parts of the body are not always going to be receptive to the new location. You should seek a doctor near you and dicuss your options with the doctor. 

Arthur Katona, MD
Oak Brook Hair Restoration Surgeon

Chest FUE donor sites

Not an issue at all-  we on average perform 1-2 chest or beard hair FUE to the scalp, and have to my entire knowledge not had any problems with scarring.  Now obviously because these hairs were removed and placed into the scalp, there will be a loss of hair density but this is usually not a bad tradeoff for patients

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will I have visible scars on my chest if I use it as donor source for a hair transplant?

I assume you are asking because you have exhausted the scalp as a source of hair?
The chest can be used but the scalp is best by a long distance due to hair quality and rate of growth and success.
You will have tiny dot scars on your chest the visibility of which  varies from person to person. Some people are more prone to prominent scars and if you are darker skin or a tan, then the White scars may show more.
It is generally accepted that it's best to avoid the skin over the sternum as healing is not as good there

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

No such thing as a scarless procedure

Discussion: Body hair as donor material is a reasonable request. Thank you for posting your question. If FUE (follicular unit extraction) was employed to remove follicular units from the chest a punch instrument would be used and depending on hair grouping size the punch averages 1 mm in size. It leaves scars and sometimes is accompanied by loss of skin pigment around the donor site. If you were not going to be seen bare chested it might be acceptable. If you have very thick chest hair with "Fur Coat" like coverage the scarring would be less noticeable.
Those are important issues to consider. Most importantly, male body hair (chest, legs and arms) tends to thin with age beginning as early as mid 40's. This makes body hair less desirable as donor material as it is not expected to last a lifetime in the recipient area.
I would also advise you to consult a full time hair restoration surgeon skilled in both FUT and FUE to review all options. Please remember both FUT and FUE procedures leave scars. The amount of scarring is mainly related to experience and artistry of the surgeon. View as many pictures online and in person as possible before you make your final decision. Hair transplantation is an optional procedure and you care about your appearance so results are important.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon