Is it alright for me to get a septoplasty first or should i treat my teeth and jaw first?

I have a deviated septum causing poor breathing, sinus pain in upper teeth, eyes, head ache when having cold. I also have a underdeveloped lower jaw with crooked teeth that is crowding.

You need to see an ENT and oral surgeon

If the upper jaw is OK then you can have your septoplasty and it will not affect your lower jaw. You may want to have both consults before you do anything to make sure that you have a good management plan before your start.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it ok to get a septoplasty

You are describing separate issues that could be addressed together or at the same time. Fixing the septum (septoplasty) can improve your ability to breathe. Normally the septum does not affect your teeth. I would recommend getting an evaluation with an Ear Nose & Throat surgeon so a thorough head and neck exam could be done. This may require a nasal endoscopy to examine the back of the nasal cavity for septal deviations as well. You may also require a CT of your sinuses to rule out sinus disease or obstructions of the sinuses. It would make sense to address the nasal and sinus issues at the same time.

Take care,

Dr. Dominic

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw surgery and a septoplasty

It's probably best to have your ENT doctor and your oral surgeon coordinate your specific care. There are too many variables which need to be discussed. Chronic sinusitis  is diagnosed with a CAT scan of the sinuses.

Coordination of Nasal and Mandibular/ Maxillary surgery

Deciding the appropriate surgery and coordinating the timing of each procedure completely depends on the patients specific examination and the recommendation of the surgeons for the type of correction. It may be best to ask your oral surgeon and/or your ENT-Facial Plastic surgeon which order is best in your particular case. If only your lower jaw requires surgery than often, the patient will undergo septoplasty first. However, if the upper jaw (maxilla) and/or the lower jaw (mandible) require correction, than often the jaw surgery will be done first. Other considerations include straightening of the teeth, general medical health and dental restoration surgery, which can sometimes impact the nasal sinuses. Please ask your doctors to communicate and help you plan the best timing of your surgeries. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon