4 inches bigger in lower abs & waist 4 weeks post TT. Bigger now than before; can't fit into any of jeans. Normal? (Photo)

I had a tummy tuck almost 4 weeks ago. I'm 5'5 , 134 lbs prior to surgery, wore a size 5. Post surgery my stomach was flat but after 1wk started swelling, modtly around my lower belly. My waist is 32 in little swollen but the Lower tummy is 36 in, looks like I'm pregnant and I'm bigger there than I was prior to TT. I've seen my PS several but he says it is a bit more swollen than he would like but wants to wait 3 mos to determine if I need to be reopened if s stitch came out or I need to be tightened.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Recovery after TT

Thank you for your question. Yes, I've had my patients tell me this too where they actually weigh more and have a larger waistline after TT at this stage. This will, without fail, get better. It really takes a solid 3 months (or more) to see the results. That's why this procedure is best done well before swimsuit season. Hang in there, and continue w/ light compression. You will be happy in a few more weeks. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon