Will a Chin Implant Removal create enough loose skin so I can have a Facelift Revision? What about Liposuction?

I have a 1cm medpor chin implant that I was told must be removed (4mm bone erosion on CT scans). In addition for 3 years I have had very visible stretched scars from a facial skin lift that I could not have corrected given lack of skin. Will the chin implant removal create more lose skin so that I could have a facelift redo to correct the scars and pixie ears? If so, how long to wait after implant is out? I need more skin to get the scars corrected.

Nope!

I am afraid that the removal of a chin implant will not generate a significant amount of loose skin in the area in front of your ears. The skin over the front of the chin may be looser, however, and this may lead to drooping of the chin. You may want to seriously consider something to correct this issue at the time of implant removal.

Chin implant and facelift

Removing the chin implant will not give enough extra skin to affect a facelift.  However, there are ways of correcting the stretch marks even if there is no significant loose skin.  Removing the chin implant may create sagging of the chin.  There are ways to minimize the chance of this happening.  Seek out a consult with a facelift revision expert.  You may send photos for review to consult@facialinstitute.com.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Loose facial skin after chin implant removal.

When the facial implants are placed, whether they be jaw, cheek or chin, the amount of skin tightening or facial soft tissue lifting  obtained is often way less than expected. Another words, overpromised and under delivered. However, sometimes dramatic skin tightening can be achieved as seen in this link below.   Though I have seen many instances of pixie ears and widened scars in and around the ears after a facelift  which  most likely represents excess tension in the  wrong places after the first facelift, simply removing the chin implant will not correct that. To correct those deformities you describe, a revision/secondary facelift needs to be performed to recruit enough skin so that it can be redraped in a tension-free matter in and around the ears.  Simply removing a chin implant will not unveil enough redundant skin to allow a tension free closure during a secondary facelift. Removing   a chin implant in the face of 4 mm of bony erosion will likely result in a droop of the soft tissue component of your chin as well as   a weaker chin profile then what you first started with. 

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Chin implant extra skin

removing the chin implant most certainly will not generate much extra skin and not enough to affect your facelift scar revision. It might however make you chin sag

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon