I'm unhappy with my facelift results. Should I go ahead with a revision?

It cost me my allotment of funds set aside for "upgrading" (11,000.00.) I am 1 1/2 yrs out, there is zero effect from any of the procedures done (confirmed by friends & family.) I have appt. this week to have this done all over again. Not sure if they are inept, not supervised, what the problem was, or is absolutely no results common in the plastic surgery world? If it is a success 11,000 won't have been wasted, I'd feel much better for sure. Should I allow the re-do, please advise!

Go ahead with revision?

Hi there, you are clearly unhappy with your result from the first surgery.  If you feel your revision surgeon understands your wishes and is able to give you what you are looking for, you hopefully will have a better outcome than the first time.  Alternatively, you may want to obtain some additional expert opinions to help you in the decision making process.  Best of luck to you!

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

When unhappy with facelift results

its best to seek a resolution with your surgeon.  Without pre and post-op photos, no one can objectively comment on whether your had a result or not from your procedure but if your surgeon truly did a facelift, you would have to have some benefit that you can see.  Assuming you truly did not have any benefit, what is your surgeon going to do differently this time around to address your specific concerns?  If the same thing is going to be done, would consider getting a second opinion before with board certified plastic or facial plastic (not oculoplastic) surgeons before diving back in.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Unhappy with Facelift results

Hello Riverside1-

Being happy after any plastic surgery procedure is a common goal between patient and surgeon. It's easy to say but harder to achieve. It starts with being well educated and that generally starts with making sure that you have someone actually trained in the plastic surgery. If you haven't done so already, get a second opinion and make it a good one. Find a board certified plastic surgeon certified by a member board of the the American Board of Medical Specialties. This certification will at least steer you towards someone who know how to be safe. You can then judge how could of a tissue sculptor they are by looking at their postoperative photos, not only facelifts but look at all areas of the face, breast and body. A reputable, good plastic surgeon should have a good sense of 3D spatial aesthetic balance and should be able to sculpt all areas of the body equally well.  Either they have that sensibility or they don't. Your current surgeon may be this person, but regardless, get a second opinion from someone that does have these credentials. 

Choose wisely and spend your money wisely on recognized value. 

Good luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to say

of course without photos its hard to say but certainly we have all seen facelift results that are not as great as we or the patient would want. Facelift can be a scary procedure and often surgeons choose to do very little to feel safe. 

Certainly seek a consultation and ask what can be done. Often revision facelift can be very effective if done well but my advice would be to see a number of surgeons with revision facelift pictures so you can choose well before you go ahead. 

Hope that helps 

Adam Goodwin

Revision facelift

First of all I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with your facial aesthetic rejuvenation. This is something that you did not take lightly and set aside time, energy, and money to achieve an outcome. It can be terribly disappointing to have a negative or sub optimal result. 

Aesthetic facelifting is both an art and a science. It is possible that your outcome was not effective for several reasons:  (1) ineffective technique, (2)  incorrect selection of procedure for your specific anatomy, (3)  unfortunate circumstances with complications  limiting the outcome. 

My suggestion would be to first start with an honest/transparent discussion with your original surgeon. If you are not satisfied with that discussion, then it would be quite appropriate to obtain second and even  third opinions. It would be very helpful for you to bring along with you all the records from your initial procedure- including photographs and operation reports. 

Once again, I am empathetic to your situation, but am confident that you will be able to gain helpful information regarding your situation if you take these suggestions.  Find experienced facial cosmetic surgeons in your area for the additional opinions.  Good luck!

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon