Whitening my front 6 Crowns, how do labs accomplish this on something that is supposed to be color stable?

i just went to the dentist today to put on 6 crowns on front teeth. My dentist used temporary cement and said he can send them back the crowns for all types of adjustments, including making them a shade or 2 whiter if i desire. I am thinking about doing this, but it doesn't make sense to me that a crown can go to a lab and come back whiter, how do the labs accomplish this on something that is supposed to be color stable?

Dental crowns

Normally the lab would remove the surface layer of the porcelain and replace it with a lighter shade porcelain. This is an easy and common lab procedure. 

Whitening Crowns

That's a great question. The only way to whiten already made crowns is to remove porcelain from the crowns and replace it with a lighter shade of porcelain. There is no magic crown whitening formula.