Can I redo a midface lift? Why does my skin & face not look tight after procedure but looks wider with horizontal cheeks?

Can I redo a mid face lift? Why does my skin & face not look tight after procedure but looks wider with horizontal cheeks?

Hi there. I hope you don't consider yourself a "plastic surgery nightmare"...To answer your question can a mid face lift be redone? The answer is yes. However, depending on how long ago your procedure was, and the reason or concern for wanting it redone, many times the answer may be to proceed with a more complete facelift procedure.  Particularly if something is more bothersome now then before the mid face procedure was performed.  If the concerns are the same as they were before surgery then the question is whether or not the mid face lift procedure was the "best " option and /or was it technically successful?  What you currently describe as not looking tight, usually is a good thing in that a natural look is usually preferred.  The finding of your face and cheeks being wider also is typically a good thing following a mid face lift in that one of the goals of the mid face lift is to lift the mid face and achieve a more "heart shape" appearance of the face which is a seen in a youthful face.  If the procedure was recent (< 6 months)  you still may have some residual swelling which may also be a part of what you are seeing.  Overall, if you have already invested in the procedure and invested in a surgeon to help you with your goals, I recommend you return to him/her and discuss your concerns.

MId-face lift - can it be redone?

Thank you for asking about your mid-face lift.
  • If your surgery was recent, your face will look wider because of swelling.
  • Revisions of surgery are usually not done for 6 months at the earliest -
  • Please discuss your concern with your surgeon to learn what to expect as you heal.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello and thank you for your question. It is certainly possible to revise or redo a midface lift.  The main question is how far out from surgery are you and the severity of your problems.  First step is definitely to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and hopefully he/she can help.
Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Pictures please

Need pictures and how long out from surgery. It is too hard to say much without more information. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

MIdface Lift

The direction of pull done in many midface lifts is in a superolateral direction. This can create cheeks that appear wider rather than up. The ideal direction of elevation in a midface lift is purely vertical but this will require man open eyelid approach to perform.