What Method is the Best for Eye Bag Removal?

Doctor Answers 5

Best method for removal of eyelid fat pads

First the diagnosis has to be made correctly.  If the issue is fat in the lower lids with good skin, this may be addressed by removing the fat from inside the lids termed a trans conjuctival blepharoplasty.  If there appears to be excess skin as well then, the best approach would be a tradtional open blepharoplasty with an incision under the lashes and removal of a small amount of skin as well.  If the issue is a valley beneath your eye lid, typically seen along the bony rim, then the approach may be just using a filler to fill the valley, a non surgical alternative or possibly moving some fat from the lower lid to fill the valley, performed at the time of surgery.

Pictures would be helpful to better assist you with this question.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Eliminate the appearance of lower eyelid bags without surgery

Dear Oasis,

It has been my experience that surgical removal of lower eyelid fat "bags" can leave a hollow, operated appearance. I typically use injectable fillers to add volume to the grooves that form just below the "bags". This has been a very satisfying, affordable remedy for lower eyelid bags, with no downtime, and a fraction of the cost of a surgical procedure.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 371 reviews

Could be Lower Blepharoplasty

Hi Oasis

Thank you for your question. Diet and exercise can help, however if you are still unhappy lower eyelid surgery aims to address the bags under the eyes. Excess skin and removal or reshaping of the fat smooth’s the contour between the lower eyelid and the cheeks. 

We do this under local so the down time is minimized and you can get back to your life quicker.

Do your homework, find a exerienced surgeon and all the best with your journey

You might also like...

Eye Bag Removal


Thank you for your question.  Without a picture your individual condition cannot be accurately assessed.  I would recommend that you have a consultation with a plastic surgeon specializing in the face who will be able to identify if you would be best treated with a dermal filler, lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning, laser resurfacing or a combination of several or all of the above. 

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
LeBeau Clinic

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Treatment of under eye bags

You should consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon. Upon examination, the well trained surgeon will be able to recommend the treatment option(s) which would best address your individual concerns. You may be a candidate for a filler, a fat transfer, or minor surgery. Best wishes!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.